PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - A brief history on Dutch influence on America
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-14, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: A brief history on Dutch influence on America

PS: This topic wouldn't exist, nor would I bring up the Dutch situation so often if the US system would not be continuously discussed as being some sort of most interesting, stand alone, only possible option, while it is not. Other nations exist and are thriving, often on a per capita better than the general populace of the US.

If it is smug to bring up my own nation's system, just consider for a second what it is like to continuously only get to discuss the American ones and seeing it appraised as the "bestest and most original thing evah", quite simply because you are not able, nor willing to talk about or consider other options as viable while not even knowing the history of the freedoms you so much care about.

I'd be quite content discussing the Italian systems (or lack thereof) for a change, but it'd probably exclude you from the conversation. In this case though, dutch history - of which I know more than you, that's a given - required some presentation, because it was being dismissed as irrelevant to the world. By you Wildguns, remember? You attacked my geographic location, the supposed (non-)importance of my nation based on ignorance and me specifically. And got a reaction. And now you tell me I'm continuously being smug about being dutch? Remember that you had to explicitly ASK where I was from? Kinda indicates that I did not rub it in your faces, doesn't it? Afterwards yes, I've given lots of examples because the situation called for it (claims that nowhere else things were better). In fact, I've used a lot of NON-DUTCH examples, because those are actually sometimes better examples. Is that "Dutch Pride" and smugness?

No. You simply never in your life talked so much about another country. You probably simply got an overload.

The history of these freedoms is predominantly French revolutionary, British and quite substantially Dutch as well, all mixed together into an American bag. And that's fine, but appreciate that instead of saying us "non-Americans have no idea of what freedoms are".

Is that being smug? Or is it smug to ignore history and actual facts because one assumes one's nation is bestestestest anyway, regardless of what facts say? I'm quite aware of any shortcomings the Netherlands have, it's however not in the areas contested on these forums so far.

This all doesn't constitute hate. It constitutes irritation with ignorance. Malorn, you and some others - as a lot of Southerners tend to do - have this attitude "you're not with me, then you're against me".

What's up with that?

Last edited by Figment; 2012-04-14 at 03:16 PM.