PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - will PS2 be "large address aware"
View Single Post
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-13, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Re: will PS2 be "large address aware"

I can say that we are probably using less RAM than you think right now, and the fidelity is pretty spectacular. As I have mentioned before, my personal development machine is NOT top of the line because I expect (and part of my job is to INSURE) to get a great experience on a mediocre machine. I'll have to check if there are more specific things I can say.

As an interesting side note - you can do the research, but most disk drives can only sustain around 100MB/second. When you factor in head-seek times, other processing, and other overhead you're usually lucky to get about 1 Gig per MINUTE off the disk. I think a few of the SSD drives can get over 250MB/second but I've not seen much faster ones. (These are all READ numbers, by the way - writes are TERRIBLE).

Can game developers cram more data on the disk? Sure - but I'm sure some of you are already seeing crazy amounts of stutter and hitching on modern games directly related to this transfer rate problem. Heck, some of the games I've played lately even have trouble loading AUDIO fast enough.