PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Whats the purpose in this game?
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-04, 02:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Whats the purpose in this game?

Aside from a few potential problems with having only 3 continents at first, it seems like Planetside 2 is actually poised to have a lot less trouble with giving a sense of accomplishment than the first game. Some good points by Corax.

Again though, the most important part will be that the game be fresh and engaging moment to moment, and that it continues to have ongoing support and development to keep it fresh.

That and F2P. I think a lot of players left PS1 not just because of a feeling of futility, but because they had to justify paying a monthly subscription instead of a one time payment like most shooters, or F2P like PS2. Add to that the many shortcomings of the original Planetside, along with it's blatant lack of support from SOE, and it's no wonder players left.

I mostly stopped playing because of those dwindling numbers, because those massive numbers were essential to what I thought made Planetside great, so I am fully interested in PS2 keeping it's playerbase high. I just feel that they are on the right track already.

Also, more importantly than how I or anyone else "feels," is whether the solutions suggested for these problems are good or bad. Locking continents isn't a particularly good solution, certainly not with 3 continents and maybe not even with 10+. There are better solutions to be had.

Considering that there will never be any real point to the whole thing, we need to have ideas for win scenarios that don't bring the game to a crashing halt, or ruin huge segments of the playerbases ability to have fun. When a round ends in your standard FPS, a new round starts up quickly and everyone gets to start having fun again. Planetside 2 needs to have all of its victory scenarios be similar. That doesn't mean no large scale objectives or victories, just that the accomplishment of those shouldn't preclude anyone from jumping right from that victory/defeat into the next fight.

A lot of PS1 vets like the lulls in combat from the first game, but that should be dictated by your own play style in PS2. Someone who is still itching for a fight shouldn't be subject to someone else wanting down time.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-05-04 at 02:28 AM.