PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Customization Woes
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-13, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #291
Dagron
Captain

Re: Customization Woes

Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
The engine can absolutely influence how easy it is to spot someone with camo. Unless the engine is specifically designed around making camo much harder to spot, it doesn't really help. You're still an obvious blot on a static background.
Alright, i'm no expert on the matter, i accept that some engines might make it easier to spot you even in camo.

However, we shouldn't rule it out as ineffective in a specific game before even seeing it in action (sadly, most gameplay footage we've seen so far was of people in faction colors or zebra camo).

Anyway, in my opinion (no facts here, skip this section if you'd like):

It goes against common sense to believe it's so hard for an engine to work with camo that it has to specifically be designed for it.

The way our eyes and brain work (visible color range, spatial perception, etc) makes us miss stuff that blend in an environment of similar colors/patterns, it's why camo works IRL.
It's also the reason animal camos work on their prey/predator despite the fact they're (ridiculously) visible to us... but i digress.

So it's easier to hide things in those conditions than to accidentally make them stand out. Some games may have failed at it, but nothing currently screams at me that PS2 is that way.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-13 at 09:15 PM.