PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Will this game fail?
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-03, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Boone
Sergeant

Re: Will this game fail?

Originally Posted by OnexBigxHebrew View Post
Wrong. Sure, beta is for testing. However, if you think that the core game at the heart of all this will change much before release, you're wrong. If people just aren't into the gameplay, they probably won't like it even when you can buy a new gun or two. Others, who worry about simple mechanics and systems or balance probably will like it once its finished more.

But let's not pretend like vehicle physics, the feeling of weapons and gunplay as a whole, and the super dated/goofy looking art and sound design are going to have a dramatic overhaul because you decided to report a few bugs.

And for the record, despite all of these things, I really like ps2. I also don't think that the beta tester portion of the player base will have anything to do with whether this game fails or not. That all depends on F2P junkies doing their part and buying shit
Do the graphics/weapons really need a dramatic overhaul? Haven't played, but you usually see graphics and these kind of things prettied up more and more the closer to release. Wouldn't really worry about that too much to be honest. I think the whole flow of the battles, etc is probably more important to get that right first.

The problem is most people playing think it's a marketing beta (that's what I call em) when in fact it looks to be a true/serious beta test (comparing to DUST just because been playing that). I bet only %5 are truely "testing" unfortunately. I'm not too worried.

I'm more worried about optimization but I hear that is going OK.

Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
It still needs more marketing. GW2 and Diablo 3 market their games years before their releases. Thats why they managed to rack up lotsa sales on day 1.
At this point I still see it lacking in this department
They'll need to market a couple months a head of time..if the game even comes out this year. They definetely don't need to waste resources on CGI trailer and commercials though. Plenty of others ways to market these days.

Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
It still needs more marketing. GW2 and Diablo 3 market their games years before their releases. Thats why they managed to rack up lotsa sales on day 1.
At this point I still see it lacking in this department
It's probably a good thing SOE isn't counting on box sales. What they are counting on is releasing the most polished game they can, because if they can't...nobody is going to stick around and buy anything...and they have to have that to survive.

I love F2P when done correctly and think it can be a good thing for the consumer instead of getting raped on games you can't ever get your money back for.

ps - VS looks like they could use some love in the dmg department. Saw a video of NC with some recoil stuff, basically had no recoil on an HA and on the hardest hitting faction. I dunno..

Last edited by Boone; 2012-09-03 at 12:59 PM.