PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Behold! My new PC: Thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 2013-11-03, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
OctavianAXFive
Staff Sergeant

Re: Behold! My new PC: Thoughts?

Well from what I can tell the vram in most games never tops 2GB at 1080p (except for Skyrim apparently). I'm not planning on upgrading my monitor anytime soon so I figured for the power a 770 could output, the 2Gb would hardly be a bottleneck.

Like I mentioned in my original post, AMD cards have trouble with older OpenGL games, particularly KotoR which is a big stick in the mud when it comes to choosing a GPU.

The 20nm 800 series is supposed to show up over the summer and I suspect AMD won't be far behind. I think the improvement from Kepler to Maxwell will be noticeable and hopefully more useful for high res gaming in the future. I mean, let's face it, though the 780ti and R9 290x CAN play at 4k 'smoothly' there is a lot to be desired in terms of actual frame rates.

GPUs are being tuned to perform at these resolutions now, but the tech is very much in the early adapter phase. So I figured I would stick with what I know works on the low-high end and wait a few months to see if AMD and Nvidia are ready to deliver on the Ultra HD goodness.