PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - SmedBlog: eSports Support
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-12, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Re: SmedBlog: eSports Support

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
Dissapointed a lot of folks? For throwing an idea out?

This whole developer/player relationship thing has to be better than that. We have ideas. We throw them out. You like them or not. We make them or not. You play the game or not. We need the feedback loop and we are trying to go way above anything we've ever done and frankly we want to raise the bar in this industry (and there are developers that do this very well so that is a high bar indeed) for interaction with our player community.

I look at this very simply. We make this game for you. You vote both with your feet and your pocketbook. If you don't play, we're screwed.

so let's be able to discuss ideas and not assume the world is coming to an end on December 22, 2012 (launch date for PS2).

Smed
I'm honestly damn glad you made this post. This is something that NEEDED to be said.

People need to start calming down and stop acting like every single idea tossed out by the development team is the end of the world. Every time something is even talked about being added to the game there are several people who scream "SOE IS FUCKING US AGAIN!!!" "NGE FOR PLANETSIDE!!!" (obviously a bit exaggerated but the point is the same).

This whole community-developer interaction isn't going to work if the community acts like spoiled brats; and I am glad that most of our community does seem able to simply give an opinion without crying like children. But we need to work on being more open to ideas instead of just shutting them out.

On the other hand Smed you have to understand a part of this is fear that Planetside 2 will be turned into something those of us who loved the first so much do not want it to be; and mistakes have been made before with the first Planetside. Many people are still very cautious when Developers promise stuff due to so many times being burned, and not just by SOE but many recent games.

This whole "Developers not just looking at customers as just dollar signs" thing is going to take some time to build; although the Planetside 2 dev team has done a great job so far from my experience.

Cheers.