PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - [Newswire] PlanetSide 2 in the works?
View Single Post
Old 2009-09-27, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Zeta
Private

Re: [Newswire] PlanetSide 2 in the works?

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
A majority of those games (if not all) are server-based "instances" at best, or "e-sports". They're matches. An MMO is persistent. I can tell you that of the many years in which I played Planetside, at its peak and at its slowest, that I never got bored.

Yeah we have to wait 15min for a non-LLU hack. Yeah you have to sit through the animation for a spawning vehicle, versus running up to a pre-spawned vehicle. The trade-off is that you're not fighting against 8 other players (presuming a 16v16 is evenly balanced and full). The trade-off is that you're fighting against, potentially, hundreds of other players...
I agree with you on a lot of that stuff. I'm pretty fine with the way the game is now, and I certainly want it to remain huge, but I just feel really bad for all of those new players who were running around, asking questions, but never stayed. And I've seen tons of those guys all the time, from release up until recently. I think if everyone had stayed, there at least would have been good word-of-mouth about planetside, regardless of marketing.

I mean, I understand why in PS they want you to have a base secured for 15 mins, through a hack. I understand why they want you to only spawn within the SOI, if you hadn't binded to an adjacent base before hand. And I understand why they want you to stick together as a large team, and targets don't die quickly. but sometimes you need SOME broad appeal if a game is going to survive. It can't just be for a selective audience.

Last edited by Zeta; 2009-09-27 at 09:25 PM.