PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - *** PlanetSide 2 Ultimate Beta FAQ ***
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-07, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: *** PlanetSide 2 Ultimate Beta FAQ ***

Originally Posted by duck View Post
Seriously? Two devs said a few weeks which means later this month. I doubt they would say stuff like that to give our hopes up.
You have to be more optimistic, I remember you were saying that there was no chance of PS2 coming out later this year. Well, Higby proved you wrong.

I've said this before PS2 is nearly complete. Yes, we only have one continent to deal with but the other two continents have been in development for a long time and they are progressing nicely. The only thing that PS2 needs are balancing issues, and bug fixes and the only way they can address those is through beta not inhouse testing.
In 3-4 weeks we will see PS2 more optimized and more smooth that what we are seeing at E3 and we will be testing the entire continent, not a specific area.

First of all, what have we seen of Amerish and Esamir? Amerish only a concept art so far, and esamir? Heck, the last time they mentioned esamir it sounded like they arent even sure its going to be Esamir. Those continents are far from done as it seems, and they obviously cant launch without them. If they hand craft them again like they did with Indar, and i assume they do so, then its going to take a while. Because, besides just making those two continents, they also need to change up indar, as there WILL be areas that just dont work, simple as that.

Then, the servers. They havent gotten a chance yet to see 2000 players on a single continent. God knows how well they will handle the load, and how long it will take to fix the issues that will pop up. Client as well. Forgelight is a brand new engine, and the only way to really test it is by giving it out to people to test it on their machines.

Then, Territory system and footholds. That needs changing, as you will see during beta.

Then, Balancing.
I could go on like this. There is just a massive difference between developing a game and testing it with a few hundred that only play every now and then, and a few thousand that play all the time. There will be bugs, design issues, exploits, balance issues and so on. Fixing all that needs time, loads of time

So, if they go in open beta within 2 month after closed beta, then they are rushing it like crazy, and dooming themself by releasing a buggy, possibly broken game. Thats why i say: dont expect open beta anytime soon, maybe in 4-5 months after Closed beta at the earliest. And dont expect Release this year. If stuff goes somewhat well, maybe, just maybe in december. But stuff never goes well, especially if you build a kind of game no one else has build before.

Also, dont forget: Ignore whatever a dev says about dates if he dont actually tell you a date. A little history:
Smed said over a year ago that they have a pretty big release in march. March came and went, and nothing happend.
They annouced the game at FanFaire last year, and said beta would start End of Q4 2011, beginning of Q1 2012. The time came and went again, and nothing happend. Since then, they say "soon", "soonish", "Very soon", "Within the next few month" and stuff like that, and every time people went crazy about it, not realizing the fact that if there is no actual date, then there is no date at all.
"Within a few weeks" is just a different way of saying "soon". In both ways, it tells you exactly nothing.