PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Outfits need to be bigger on Miller
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-25, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Outfits need to be bigger on Miller

Originally Posted by Thunderhawk View Post
What you describe here is what the VS have been doing recently, some nights more effective than others...and I totally agree with the individualism of each outfit being left to prosper whilst allowing the collective unit of the Alliance to achieve the main goals......

...having an outfit of a FULL Platoon or two every night is just a lot of people to manage effectively beyond pointing them at a base and [telling] them to "take it"....

My personal preference is having 2-3 Squads MAX to manage and organise, its just the right amount for my personal tastes and would not enjoy playing in an outfit with 2 full platoons running at prime every night, not enjoyable at all.
*formatted quote for emphasis*

You're right, for one person to manage a platoon like a squad is just too much, that's where the leadership hierarchy comes into play. You have to have SLs you can trust. Leading a group of 48 people comes a lot easier if the PL focuses on the strategic side of things (what base to assault next and why) while the SLs focus on the tactical side of things (how to assault this base and what needs to happen to make that a possibility).

Running with two squads is all well and good, it's partially how BRTD is structured (Each 'Reaper' consists of up to 24 people), as it keeps crosstalk to a minimum and tightens everything up but the issue comes into play when the unit is spread out geographically. Alpha squad may be north, while Bravo is down south. As I'm sure you know, splitting up your forces weakens them but helps you project your force across a wider area if one can pull it off successfully. I know you know this, but it bears repeating, y'all in ISK fuck me often enough when I'm trying to lead by doing this kinda shit

TLDR: Management and leadership styles are what really sets the different outfits apart. Large or small, neither is wrong. What IS wrong is the fact that the smaller units and outfits are having a hard time finding their place on the battlefield outside of acting as highly disciplined, tight knit, shock troops.

Originally Posted by Gimpylung View Post
...the vast majority of the playerbase will never see them and likely resent the fact that SOE put so much resources into it and not into the core game that we all play.

PS2 should have a role for outfits of all shapes and sizes..
Amen. Don't even get me started on fuckin MLG. Sure players will need to adapt to the game, that's part of being 1: A gamer and 2: an MMO player. The focus of MLG is, in my mind, the exact opposite of what this game is supposed to be about. SOE's changed the tagline to 'Size Always Matters' and then have taken away the size bit.
Still, It's SOE's game and like some kinda retarded parent, I want to let them give it a go to see what happens. Maybe PS2 will reshape MLG and what it means to play competitively but...maybe it'll flop and we'll be fucked. Stuck with a game that's changed it's focus so much to be unrecognizable from what we enjoy.

TLDR: I feel ya man

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast