Thread: News: Community Q&A With Higby
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-07, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Re: Community Q&A With Higby

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
1. Helping new players is admirable and all, Higby, but new players stop being new after a while, yet the casualized features remain even when everyone is vets. If this is truly your reason, then these features should cease to be available to a player who has 50+ hours. Catering to new players isn't mainstream, it's casualized, it's an extreme. Whereas a realism sim with no spotting would be the opposite extreme. Mainstream would be middle ground, something between.

Or even better, how about when servers reach a certain maturity level, the crutches are turned off, and special Newbie servers are created where people that need the crutches have them? Or simply have server options to begin with? It looks like casual players aren't going to give up the fight for friendly fire off, so you might as well cater to the ENTIRE community by having some servers with FF off, 3D spot on, etc, and other servers with FF on, 3D spot off, etc.

Let me assure you that there is a large section of the Battlefield community that doesn't want this, either. There IS DEFINITELY enough demand to justify making special servers with FF on and 3D spot off. And SOE has a precedent for this as well. Everquest has PvP servers, a server where all loot is tradeable, progression servers, LOTS of specialty servers. I call upon SOE to serve their community in the same way with respect to these things.

2. Calling it strategy is a smokescreen, 3D spotting is stealth-ruining. As a result, it takes away as many strategies as it offers. If one guys sees you and is able to broadcast your exact location in 3D to 200 other guys nearby, that's stealth ruining and defeats the purpose of even attempting to flank or do anything but charge straight ahead. In open areas, 3D spotting also increases the game's killing pace and causes people to run 500 yards out of their way to get kills instead of proceeding to the objective.

There's also the idea of making 3D spotting Squad Only(NOT empire-wide). That would be helpful as well and encourage squadding up.
Not that I want to have exactly the same conversation with you again Star, we've been through this enough times now and undoubtedly SOE have read absolutely everything we've all been saying, all that can be done is to wait and see precisely how they've decided to implement it in beta. They know the concerns.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com