PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Alternative capture model - the reverse LLU.
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-12, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Alternative capture model - the reverse LLU.

The LLU mechanic has been brought up and though the term LLU is no longer appropriate, due to the lack of lattice, I will refer to it as LLU for the sake of recognition.

I was thinking of a couple of ways a LLU could be used for captures. Both are reversing the concept in that instead of stealing a LLU, you'd be delivering it to the enemy base to install it.

1. The first method would be pretty simple. All you'd have to do is take the LLU to the enemy base and install it to gain ownership. It's pretty much that simple, but perhaps not that simple to do. The console that you would have to install the LLU into would be deep in the base and would require you to fight your way in and maintain control of the room. Once you delivered the LLU, it would be placed into the receiver and would take about 30 seconds to install. The LLU would be an object that could be carried by players and if they are killed they drop it. When on the ground or or while it is sitting in the receiver, the LLU can be destroyed by damaging it with weaponry. Perhaps, a single C4 or rocket, or a good amount of small arms fire. Once the LLU is fully installed, the base is captured.

This method would not be used for all bases, perhaps just one type of base. The LLU could be created at any friendly base.

2. The second method does not rely on the LLU to capture the base, but the LLU would be necessary to bring a base up to full power. Basically, a base would be captured through whatever capture mechanic is in game, but that would only give you physical ownership of the base. Any spawn points you own would still function, but you would not receive the base's benefit or function until the LLU is installed. Like Tech, Amp, Bio, etc. In other words, you'd have physical possession of the base, but it would not be "coded" to your empire until you installed your LLU into it's system.

There is some fun gameplay around fights that revolve around the delivery and interception of LLUs and modules. We could call it "Facility Operating System" or "FoS". Though I am completely open to suggestions about the name or even the functionality. Obvious things to consider are things like whether you own adjacent territories and how this could affect how long it would take.

www.planetside-devildogs.com

Last edited by EVILPIG; 2012-04-12 at 12:11 PM.