PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Community Interview with Jon Weathers
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-29, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
Graywolves
General

Re: Community Interview with Jon Weathers

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
You know, whatever. Sure, I've never run an outfit of a hundred guys. But I ran an outfit with thirty or so in the first year of Planetside, and so, yeah -- I'm speaking from the other end of the spectrum.

I know when you get 15 guys on an evening, your outfit as at a serious efficacy disadvantage compared to the ones that roll multiple full platoons. And it was a constant source of tension in our outfit -- some of the guys got really frustrated at that and left, leaving others in the difficult choice of choosing which friends to "follow", etc. Several quit playing as that attrition broke up our group.

So, yeah, I think I can say it's a potential problem. It's perfectly fair for you to write those like us off as unimportant, but it's valid feedback that I hope Sony is willing to consider -- not everybody gravitates to the large outfit game (and I'm not going to stoop to your level and start calling you zergfits since you called us casuals).

Furthermore, I don't want large outfits being their insular selves because they've got ready platoon organization undermining the usefulness of the mission system.

If the large outfits aren't issuing missions (because they're using platoon organization, instead), then the commanders of smaller forces don't have the information to utilize the mission system well to *synergize* with the large outfits' operations.

I get that the large outfits want to be the gatekeepers of all Empire strategy -- but that's only fun for large outfits. And it doesn't have to be that way. The mission system is promising to be a gold mine of strategically valuable information, readily available and shared amongst organizations of all structures and sizes.

Also, whoever it was that said "I don't want to be typing up missions when I could just issue orders through Teamspeak" or whatever it was is an idiot. There's literally no way the Planetside devs will release a mission system that requires "typing out missions".

People are still going to leave because of numbers if they are annoyed at running with a group that has low numbers. It could be because your squad is not 30 people or because you don't have a full platoon.

Having more tools for organization to make commanding large groups of people more convenient isn't going to undermine public missions/commands.

The possible flaws many of us see in the mission system is possible exploits or limited purpose beyond aiming the zerg. But that's an entirely different topic than Outfit/Platoon organization. One isn't going to effect the other in usefulness.