PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - SKY's Blueprints Vol. 2: Factions and Asymmetrical Balance
View Single Post
Old 2013-05-22, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
rigsta
Private

Re: SKY's Blueprints Vol. 2: Factions and Asymmetrical Balance

Interesting read, good point on the possibility of multiple ways to implement charge mechanics. That sort of thing needs to be thought about since it's in danger of it becoming the "VS thing".

More distinctive colours are something I'd like to see more of. Camo sadly isn't going anywhere, but red vs. blue vs. purple was nice for the short time it lasted during beta & after launch.

A couple of things though.

One recoil model per faction: No thank you. There's nothing wrong with needing to learn individual guns, and if every gun has the same recoil pattern then that reduces the uniqueness of each weapon. The RoF & damage model & aesthetics are sufficient for empire differences, I think.

In addition, some recoil patterns are "better" than others. All else being equal, I'd take a biased (eg. up + right) recoil over an up + random left-right recoil any day of the week. Why? Biased recoil is, as a rule, more predictable. That allows players to increase the length of their bursts through practice and skill.

Granted though, other variables could - and would - be tweaked to lessen the effect of recoil pattern on accuracy.

Lastly, there's no reason my beamer should kick in the same direction as a shotgun or LMG.

Weapon changes: Not sure I like these, especially drop versus velocity. Specifically, I don't like the VS weapon idea because recoil and drop are things I can learn while velocity is a hard cap on effective range. And how much drop is the right amount?

Anyway, that's a big topic with a million variables. It could work or it could suck, and the debate would be endless...