PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Impending Magrider Nerf.
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-26, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Chewy
Major

Re: The Impending Magrider Nerf.

Originally Posted by Cronoc View Post
Was the Magrider considered overpowered in Planetside 1? I don't recall it from my time in PS1... and it had the same maneuverability then. Has the switch to the pilot-gunner paradigm ruined that so much, or were the other faction's tanks better in some way than in PS2?
-Not a vet so don't quote me to much-

From my understanding of PS, you couldn't get any vehicle (maybe a flash) without first putting an amount of your limited points into it. If you didn't spec into vehicles the only access you had to them was catching a ride and being a gunner. That and the forced need for a gunner (Id love to see this) alone put a hard cap on the number of tanks on the field. Each one also had to be taken care of because of them having around 3-4 times the cost of what we got now in PS2 (assuming).

There was also a lot of faction styled weapons that could be use to easily take out an oblivious tank. NC had a fly by wire rocket, VS had lasers, and "I think" TR had a swarm missile. There wasn't a way to dodge those things with hardware limits back then with the 2003 net coding. Floating or on tracks, you needed to be good to use and keep a vehicle. So what made PS1 tanks balanced isn't going to work in PS2 without a hard limit to the shear number of tanks people can got for, might as well be, free at near any base.

Plus PS had 10 years now to develop as a MMO. I was told it was FAR worse than what PS2 is when it first came out. 10 years of work really does wonders for balance.

I for one think that the power of tanks are great as is. TRs 2 shots make them a threat to anyone no matter what ammo they have. NCs can punch a boulder at cost of ammo and speed. VS never have to expose their backs and can be on the move 100% of the time. Each has its strength and play to the faction roles.

The only thing Id like to see happen is how Mags control. For a heavy tank that has zero contact with the ground and thus no traction and/or friction. How the hell can it move so well? That's the Mags real power right there. Nothing else can get to places it can and that front gun is by far a plus in a few ways. First is not having to show your back to any threat in a fight, and another is being able to move at all angles at will.

I was a magnetic nut job growing up. Must have had piles of magnets all over my room and played with them for hours. The one thing I can tell you about magnets and how their forces work is that there is NO controlling it without a special base or gluing one in place. Even then it takes some effort to get them to do what you want. I still have 2 stuck together that Im unable to split apart.