PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Some Info about Items from the Shop
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-11, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Shogun
Contributor
General

Re: Some Info about Items from the Shop

Originally Posted by GhundiPI View Post
While great that the power adding and playstyle items are available for ingame resources (though for the playstyle items it really depends on how high the resource cost is), I'm still very much an opponent to the existence of items like resource/xp boosts. In a game like PS2 players prepared to pay for those (continually) will create an advantage over those who are not. Take for example an outfit of which every member permanently uses resource/xp boosts. This outfit will be ahead on the power curve due to an advantage in their cert diversity (initially though, as this will eventually water down), access to more vehicles (more resources) and power adding items.

Now one can argue that if people are willing to pay for it, they 'deserve' the advantage. But in my opinion it is against the spirit of a game like PS2 where people are meant to be judged on their skill and faction balance can be precarious. Still I could be overreacting so I'll reserve final judgement for release (and after), but I have seen some PvP heavy games where seemingly small purchasable advantages did have a large overall impact.
i haven´t heard any dev talking about ressources being buyable. that was just some stupid idea of someone in the community.(link, or it didn´t happen)
the xp bonus is no problem, because xp doesn´t equal power like in mmo rpgs where a level1 cannot even hit a level 40 char.
and since there are new players coming to the game all the time, there will always be some with more diversity and some newer players with less. so it´s no difference. you know, the other player may have more certs and sidegrades unlocked, but does it matter if he got them from playing longer than you or from buying an xp bonus?

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!