PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Whats the purpose in this game?
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-06, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #109
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Whats the purpose in this game?

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
As I understood it, the discussion was about how you take a BF/MW player and persuade them they're winning things when the round doesn't end. To which I say you can claim victory when you take territory. It will be shown on the map and it will be tangible. Those players aren't interested in the war, they have no concept of it in their games - only unconnected instanced battles.

Win condition for the war is simple - hold the entire continent (or capturable area of it) - but whether that's even possible remains to be seen. If it is, I'd still expect it to take weeks.

At that point, you could give medals and reset the map, it wouldn't break things - though I think it'd be better if that was a very rare occurrence.
Well, I just mean that yes, BF does have a win declared every 30 minutes, but unless you are playing in an organized clan match, it's a soulless number. The meaningless daily rounds played on an unorganized basis are quite easily replaced by daily territory pushes in PS2.

And while an MMOFPS does present the technical possibility of a larger win condition, to do it in the main game itself is going to see 3AM steamrolls and it will happen every night, and will water the game down. World War 2 Online has a victory condition but its maps are so huge that its hard to pin the enemy down to do it. PS2 continents will make Battlefailed look like a sardine can, but they aren't that big. Until we get continents that are 64 X 64 instead of 8X8, that leaves us with no option but weekend events.

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
That's a really intriguing idea about the smaller matches and a tournament mode. Of course, that would only be to shake things up every now and then, as most people will prefer full-scale battles.
Note that when I talk about 48 hour events like this, I was assuming they would be for several thousand people. Perhaps even a full 6000 people on a 48 hour event server. Depends on how this stuff can be organized.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-06 at 09:29 AM.