PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Origin of Forge Light (Speculation)
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-23, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: The Origin of Forge Light (Speculation)

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
I believe all the engineers here who have devoted many, MANY hours and months and years to the development would not agree that it "just appeared"
I don't doubt the ability of SOE by any means. You guys have created in-house engines for a number of games including Planetside, Star Wars Galaxies and EverQuest 2. I don't know which engine FreeRealms uses so I'll make an assumption that it was in-house built, and was also used for Clone Wars Adventures. However unless the engine development at SOE were developing two completely different engines at once, Forge Light would have been made in two years. It's just an unbelievably impressive engine, with the closest comparison being Project Offset.

DC Universe Online did use Unreal Engine 3, but I'm sure there were reasons behind doing so. Usually we hear about game engines being worked on years before we see any details on games, so the announcement of Forge Light was certainly a shock.