PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Weak spots/strong spots on soldier armor
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-29, 01:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Pozidriv
Corporal

Re: Weak spots/strong spots on soldier armor

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
My god you had to go a looooooong way back to find one. You're correct, Mechwarrior added to the game with it. Though Mechwarrior wasn't particularly a game about fast paced fps was it? It was all about intelligent management of systems, heat and so on in order to deal damage while taking it, to the best effect.

Personally I think separate limb damage in fps games serves no purpose if you're not going to cause an effect on the player receiving the damage so that either the receiver of shooter notices it in gameplay, otherwise it's pointless. I also think that in a fast paced fps style game, leg or arm injuries would merely be an annoyance, and more to the point - completely unrealistic. As I mentioned, if your arm is shot up by an AR in reality you're just as lethally wounded as if your body was. I'd link some NSFL videos that clearly demonstrate this, it probably wouldn't be appreciated though, the curious can find them relatively easily, there is very, very little depiction of what actually getting shot is like, in TV or gaming. I really wouldn't recommend investigating it unless you're a seasoned internetter though with a history of shock video and imagery behind you, it would certainly be traumatising.
What kind of locational damage are we talking about? If it's something that causes extra / different side effects other than damage then there aint many contenders.

But quite a few games do have localized damage modifiers, BF3 has a 1x for center mass 0,9x for limbs and 2,5x (if memory serves) for headshots. Imho quite a few games have lower modifiers for limb shots.