PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-20, 03:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #325
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
And this is why such discussions are always unproductive. People ask "why" and the mech/bfr proponents just deflect the question by nitpicking some insignificant detail and then posting some exaggerated meaningless drivel.
Well I'm honestly getting a bit tired of saying the same things over and over. It's that the "why nots" are all so terrible that keeps me arguing about this (in real life, they wouldn't be cost effective!)

Until we get to play it, we don't know that anything is needed. We don't know that a single idea in the ideas forum would be a good fit for the game. If there happens to be roles that are unfilled (and I'd say that's likely), then there's your opportunity for a new vehicle. Sure, there are probably roles that could be given to existent vehicles, but I think there'll probably be a saturation point, beyond which a single vehicle will be able to do too much, where the certification UI will be too cluttered, where the training time for that vehicle reaches silly levels.

So then the question is, what kind of vehicle? Well, I'd rather see bikes, buggies, mechs, ships or airships before we saw another plane, another tank or another truck, simply to make the shapes on the battlefield more interesting.

Bikes would be hard to fit into Planetside's aesthetic without simply becoming another ATV. The naval thing will take a lot of work. Airships would need huge reimagining to fit Planetside...That leaves buggies and mechs, both of which can take varied forms, both of which can be given a huge range of aesthetics to fit what's already in the game, so I'd like to see them both eventually.

The only valid criticism against them so far is their height disadvantage, though it's certainly not a make or break thing.

So that's why. Because there will eventually be room for new vehicles and they'd be more far more interesting than yet another tank/plane, which so far outweighs every feeble argument that the mech-phobic have thrown against them.

Now maybe you just love tanks, or love planes and can't get enough of them, so you'd rather see a constant flow of new tanks for you to drool over and that's fine, but that falls within the confines of personal preference, as diversity is mine.