PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - controllers for planetside 2
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-07, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

Re: controllers for planetside 2

the mouse and keyboard is great for point and shoot targeting and aiming, but i feel like the new dynamics of flight, the "realistic" flight, it may be a bit difficult to combat a fast maneuvering pilot with a mouse that runs out of desk space compared to a controller or joystick that simply has to hold down the angle of the stick.

and as stated, some people are simply better with controllers than a mouse/keyboard. they may have been raised on consoles, or just have had more practice on them, or as also stated are simply more comfortable with them. personally my first game was at the age of 4-5 and it was doom, and all i had was the keyboard...admittidly it wasnt a complicated game, but still. doesnt mean i can play with just a keyboard anymore, but i personally am more comfortable playing FPS infantry combat with a mouse/keyboard than a controller.

as for the vehicles, i can maybe see the ground vehicles being fairly easy to carry over from mouse/keyboard to a controller, and again, skill and accuracy and what not is all preference and differs person to person. again, personally i think the mouse keyboard is better, but i started online gaming with bf2 on pc.

air vehicles... i have no idea how they control, so i cant say what would be best. i plan on using a joystick since i played BF3 on consoles and am used to aiming with an analog stick, and a larger joystick will give more precision (for me) than the controller as well as throttle control that doesnt hinder aiming and shooting (used triggers for speed, both sticks for maneuvers and shoulder button for firing, meant i had to stop adjusting speed in order to fire/ use countermeasures)

with the aircraft lifting and decending vertically, and not sure how the controls will be, i am not sure whether using a controller will be a good idea or not. i figure it will mix a helicopter and a jet and will require buttons for ascend, descend, forward, backward/brake, as well as yaw (looking left/right), roll (rolling left/right) and pitch (looking up/down), plus weapon fire, switch etc. with a controller, how the developers (or you) will make your controller handle ascend/descend, forward/reverse as well as roll, yaw and pitch seems a bit much. perhaps left stick for forward/brake/reverse and yaw while left stick is roll and pitch and the triggers/ shoulder buttons control lift and firing primary/secondary weapons.

that seems like what i would do should i use a controller for flight, but i think id prefer having the spread of a $20-$40 stick, with a specific throttle control and buttons i can asign lift to while the stick controls my maneuvering. but again, its all preference, matt higby said he was using a high end joystick with throttle control and rudder pedals.

TL;DR- yes controllers/ joysticks will be supported and its all preference, some plus/minus/reasons of using controllers vs mouse/keyboard vs joystick (flight)

Last edited by Duskguy; 2012-08-07 at 01:07 AM.