PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Road map and why it doesnt work!
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-04, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Stellarthief
Corporal

Re: The Road map and why it doesnt work!

Originally Posted by Thunderhawk View Post
Guys seriously relax.....

The point being made here is that a voting system allows "anyone" to have a weight in a democracy when it comes to voting for something.

The point is, someone who has 1-2 days /played under their belt shouldn't be equal so someone who has say, 10+ days played under their belt.

They don't know the game well enough yet.

Forget Outfits for a second, a single (non-outfit) player who has played the game for 12 days (/played time) will have a better idea of the game mechanics than a single (non-outfit) player who has 1 day /played.

I think it's reasonable to assume everyone agrees on this.

----------

Now all the 10+ day players are free to disagree and argue and vote for different things all they want, thats fair enough.
I get your point. More well spoken. But that is also simply not true and an oversimplification.

As I've said before, I've played MMOs for 14 years now, since 1999. I have known people who have played for literally thousands of hours in game and still at the end had no clue about mechanics because they simple don't care. They just play the game and don't worry about these things. My wife is one of them, she leaves the mechanics to me, who I mostly leave to a friend of mine. Many people simply don't care how CoF acts, how bloom acts, how this affects that and what this or that does. They just wanna point, click, boom and the results are what is impotant to them.

Likewise, I know people who don't spend much time in game (RL constraints) but they spend more than double the in game time out of game researching mechanics, searching reddit, making builds and half the in game time is spent testing that stuff. These are people that don't want to point click boom, they want to know what point click boom does what it does and how to make it point click boom boom.

One of my points was that, time invested does not equal knowledge and it never has. It's a reasonable assumption, but not one I, as a developer, would lend so much weight.

The best way is to simply listen to everyone, filter the ideas and then go from there. Perhaps the most time consuming and probably the most stressful. But adding weight and excluding people's ideas based on something such as play time, not being in a well known outfit, etc. is super short sighted.