PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Game Breaker Interview
Thread: News: Game Breaker Interview
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-02, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
The Janitor
Sergeant

Re: Game Breaker Interview

Will there be any kind of long-term goals in place? Killing each other and taking territory is cool, but do there need to be bigger strategic goals?

We have an extremely robust strategic meta-game, especially for a shooter. Taking territory does more than just change which flag is on the flag pole, it gives the presiding empire access to specific resources and denies those resources to the others. Cornering certain types of resources to deny access to enemy empires create the need for strategic choices before you engage in major battles, giving additional dimension to the fight.
This worries me. There's about as much depth added as when you add another layer of meat to a turkey sandwich. It's still a turkey sandwich, just slightly thicker. To some, this may be fine, as many veterans just want PS1 but shiny with a few things added on and better latency and less hacking. And hey, none of that is a bad thing.

However, I do think the game is going to initially lack a certain amount of overall strategy. Even if resources are there, you're still just taking territory over and over, but instead of bases it's resource dumps. So now you have different things to take back and forth with essentially the same value as bases.

There needs to be unique things to fight over, even if it's just one thing per continent. A base with a huge dish on it that allows commanders to scan maps and show enemies on radar for a short period of time. Or a base with massive artillery cannons that allows the controlling faction to call down short artillery bursts on other continents. I'll make a thread about this, specifically and see what we can come up with.