PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - SmedBlog (last year): NPC Enemies and Armies
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-11, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Re: SmedBlog: NPC Enemies and Armies

Originally Posted by RoninOni View Post
I agree, but there should be some bigger, larger ones as well that do take some serious fire power.

TONS AND TONS AND TONS of lil swarmy bastards though

Also, I edited that 1 post... should also be incredibly rare.

Mechanically (programatically) I would see this done as a very very rare (maybe scripted in secret, maybe randomly generated) global event that once triggered lasts 24-48 hours, but actually does nothing but allow for common but random local events.

The local events would be the meteor storms themselves, and their size, location, and even qty and types of aliens would all be randomized. Certain factors programmed into the map different locations, as well as current population densities, would affect the different variables.

As I also said elsewhere, the 'face of the planet' should affect it, so only 1 continent at a time (or 1/3rd the continents), would have a chance at having the local event happen. In effect, as the different continents should have different current time of days to simulate their different face of the planet, so could time of day be used as a filter on local event windows. Any 8 hour period could be set (or randomly generated) and would shift by an hour every in game day (as the planet is moving in it's orbit, so does it's impact angle of the meteors), until the end of the event (24-48 real hours, 3-8 in-game days, preset or again... random)
Why random? If you were going to launch an invasion, wouldn't you put some thought and organization into it?

X number of small things per Y big thing which acts as a commander or lead unit. Y number of big things per Z great big thing if you want a larger scale invasion. The recipe works no matter what kind of aliens you use (a race of aliens that are similar to each other and pilot vehicles, or a insect like race where there are vast differences between creature 1 and 2 based on what they were born to do).