PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - SKY's Blueprints Vol. 2: Factions and Asymmetrical Balance
View Single Post
Old 2013-05-22, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: SKY's Blueprints Vol. 2: Factions and Asymmetrical Balance

Good read buddy.

One main thing I want to respond to is that of asymmetric weapon balance (which I am all for):

As I told Higby when he asked for why the VS suck, giving us no bullet drop for infantry is a meaningless perk as at the ranges we operate at it has no real impact (although I recognise you address this by increasing bullet drop for the other empires, although then negate it by giving NC higher projectile speed) and if it did then it would feel very strange. In many other FPS games the weapons simply do not have bullet drop at all - it saves processing power and makes netcode simpler. In PS however the ranges we can fight at should see bullet drop as a factor.

On weapons where it does impact (sniper rifles and tank shells) the VS currently have bullet drop, and removing it would be a boost to be sure in these specific cases.

Slowing down VS projectiles would completely remove the accuracy perk as you have to start fighting the weapon itself (consider the PPA on the Mag/Harasser which is near useless because of slow projectiles) and at that point there is no good thing about VS weapons (and reload speed should not be a factor, by that point you have lost a one on one fight). As rigster says projectile speed is a hard cap, while bullet drop and recoil can be compensated for.

Look back at the original game and VS had two core perks - maneuverability/speed and versatile weapons that could flick between AI and AV modes in a fraction of a second. In this game we have lost our vehicle speed to the TR and our maneuverability of the MAX jump jets. We have also lost our versatile fire modes and the AV capability of the Mag just got nerfed into the ground with Game Update 9. All we have left is spandex.

What would I do? Give VS the highest accuracy plain and simple - high projectile speed AND minimal recoil/bloom is what is should be about, give us an advantage at long range while the NC are close and TR the middle ground.

The main perks of the empires needs a rework - TR Rate of fire and area of effect. NC Armour and high damage. VS Speed and accuracy.