PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Higgs GDC gametrailers interview
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-21, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Higgs GDC gametrailers interview

Originally Posted by DxC View Post
[...]if someone say a light assault started jumping around stabbing people then that will be a problem
You mean a situation, for example, where a light assault could get on a roof to ambush players exiting the door below and instant ninja-jump-knife them in the back ?

The main reason I am against instant kills with knives is because I think it makes using the knives too trivial. You could still make knife kills in PS1 even without OSOK backstab and it required quite a lot of skill to do.

In the midst of a large battle, I got low on health and retreated for cover. I pulled my med app and... got knifed by an infil. Everyone around was too busy to catch the guy. Said more simply: I got owned.
>.<

If anything, I would ask for knife kills to not show up in the public kill list and/or to make almost no noise.

I find instant kill backstabs hardly to be exciting... In PS1, even boomers gave players a chance to survive should they react asap to the threat (i.e. at once when they hear the beep).

I'm trying to remember the name of that NC cloaker who always seemed to manage to get inside VS spawns and boomer people... He had a funny character name that involved pop... or something like that.