Thread: News: Digital Trends Interview
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-07, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Re: Digital Trends Interview

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
It won't see the current gen of consoles the hardware couldnt handle 16vs 16vs 16 let alone anymore.

This article is badly written and they role out the crappy trailer.
Did you miss MAG? Large scale battles are proven on PS3 already, unfortunately the mechanics of the game were clunky, it wasn't up to the standard of AAA shooters, but it wasn't bad at all.
Sure, the layout of the game limited combat to small fights on the kind of scale that you'd see in regular fps games, but the netcode could indeed cope with all players in one area at once and there's several youtube videos of entire servers on screen at the same time.

I agree that it won't be coming to current gen, but I disagree with the sentiment that the scale can't be done.

As for technical challenges... There's not enough RAM in the current systems to cope with the map load, unless they do something fancy like harddrive streaming in combination with disc read like Battlefield 3 did. I dunno, tech limitations aren't much of an issue, it's just the netcode and optimising that would need to be addressed, claiming it's impossible is in my opinion a little bit silly though and smells like us vs them.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com