PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - SmedBlog: eSports Support
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-11, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Re: SmedBlog: eSports Support

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
There are 2 ways of looking at Esports. One way is literally as pure competition. Another is looking at it as really well done Television. Instead of watching Survivor wouldn't you rather watch an hour long battle casted by really good shoutcasters and follow some of the best players in the game?

Esports is a lot more than simple arena matches. It's really becoming about watching other people game. Those of you that think this idea is stupid.. I was one of you. Now I'm hooked. Give it a try.. you will be too.
Really good television is Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad, not season 345566 of some reality TV show. But, your analogy hits home for me nonetheless, just not in the way you intended. You're trying to sell us on the reality TV quality type entertainment in the form of esports. What I, and I think many others want is something a little bit more in depth than that. I love getting invested in my chosen Faction, being immersed in the game world, and neck deep in action and drama.

I'm sure there will be some that will love this esport stuff, I'm not among them. If you can do it without impacting the real game in any way then those in the community that share my view won't have anything to complain about.