PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Best Joysticks for Planetside 2
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-27, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
kertvon
Sergeant

Re: The Best Joysticks for Planetside 2

I just did some joystick bouncing a month or so ago and can give a few insights. As was posted earlier in the thread, Higby commented on reddit saying he was using the Logitech g940. The g940 has some solid reviews, but was flamed for having some driver issues in which the lights on the throttle would not work. All in all not a big deal. I used a logitech xtreme 3d pro for about a month and then returned it to pick up the saitek x52 pro. The x52 was sweet and since the throttle had a pressure adjustment, it was smooth as butter for full throttle stops and takeoffs. The main thing I was not a fan of was the spring action on the x52 pro... compared to the logitech 3d pro, it felt extremely flimsy. After having the x52 for about a week or so I sent it back. I used it on BF3 just to see how it felt in practice, and while it was cool, it was hardly necessary. Just the joystick itself combined with the keyboard was more practical and I preferred to put the extra $120 towards hardware to beef up my rig. Also my desk space was very limited and the trio(keyboard/throttle/joystick) took up quite a bit of surface area. I have read reviews on the CH joysticks and they are apparently superb. Also the higher end thrustmaster HOTAS setups are good stuff too.

The x52 was a good deal, but I was not a fan overall with the spring assembly. It used an elevated stick with a dual spring with a ring near the base to apply tension to generate the bounce back when the stick was tilted in any direction. The major flaw with the design is that if you do not use a fluid motion to keep the spring slightly compressed while doing a straight line over the center axis(ie, moving the stick straight from forward to backwards or from left to right) there is slight knock where the tension ring slaps the base of the joystick. This combined with the fact that most actions that would require this motion would be due to correcting overcompensation, and the flimsiness of the stick made it feel like I was going to break it.

The 3d pro uses a sort of ball in base design where the stick pivots around the ball. By design the stick was much sturdier and the above problem with the x52 is a non issue. Plus the 3d pro is $30-40 compared to $150.00 for the x52 pro.

Last edited by kertvon; 2012-05-27 at 11:07 PM.