PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Question about streaming for AGN?
View Single Post
Old 2011-11-27, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Marsman
Major

Re: Question about streaming for AGN?

AGN was an audio show back in Planetside 1 - initially we had intended to keep it that way. Our first couple of AGN shows for Planetside 2 were audio only shows. When we first brought video into the picture, we had the "AGN Desk" to allow us to present motion video and screenshots and yet still keep our mugs off camera However, after viewing some other shows attempts at live video and seeing that it could indeed be pulled off in a professional manner, we decided to bite the bullet and go for a fully live video show.

As we had done AGN in the past as audio, both Hamma and I were pretty comfortable with audio. Video was a whole new challenge of course. If we appear comfortable on camera, let's just say we've fooled you well. There is a lot going on in the background technically and we're both more concerned with that then our appearances so I guess we really don't have much time to think about it.

Myself, I've been a professional musician playing classic rock off and on for many years. Rather used to being on-stage in front of a crowd. I have been told over the years, I have that "DJ" voice, so I actually did a little DJ work a number of years ago at a local radio station. Back in the day, I was a CB nut and later became an advanced class Amateur Radio Operator (KA1NNN and later W1NNN) so I'm pretty used to speaking into a microphone. As such, I'm fairly comfortable with my voice and even have gotten to the point I no longer cringe when hearing it. (you know.. the typical "I really sound like that?" syndrome lol)

Hamma, as far as I know, had not done any broadcasting prior to AGN. I remember him back in the initial days of AGN being a bit shy to get on the air but became more comfortable over the audio-only years on AGN. With Planetside2 however, he's pulled out all the stops and seems very comfortable as a video personality, doing all the camera switching, and being the prominent face of AGN video these days.

I think we both squirm more for the technical content than the fear of being in front of the camera. It is a tremendous challenge to ensure all the audio, video, screenshots, overlays, Teamspeak, Skype, the broadcast, on and on... type stuff all works. It's AGN. Something "always" screws up - it's just the nature of the beast, but we work hard to try to make it all come off as smooth and seamless as we can. But as I said before, if we sound and look calm, then we done our best to fool you and we appreciate your kind words!