PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - How PhysX runs on Nvidia and AMD (ATI) systems
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-16, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: How PhysX runs on Nvidia and AMD (ATI) systems

You're welcome, Hamma. I will be keeping an eye on this PhysX 3.0 version if there is news on its use and update the OP as needed. I am hoping to see some benchmark from Nvidia showing the CPU improvements soon.

@Swift.

I missed your point on this being bad for PC platform. Many people consider PhysX to be a closed API like CUDA, since at the moment only Nvidia cards can really make use of it. Those people argue there is alternatives like Havok that supports BOTH Intel and AMD cpus even though its owned by Intel that can be used in games. Right now I am hoping this PhysX 3.0 turns the table on this and makes PhysX seems more open source if the CPU can perform at playable levels. Early last year there was a major stink between AMD and Nvidia about this very issue. Lets just say I saw a lot of a lot of threads that turned into everyone being trolls. I do not want this thread to become that as its just to inform those who do not know about it.

Last edited by Goku; 2011-07-16 at 03:19 PM.