PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Very cheap 1TB SSD!
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-31, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Re: Very cheap 1TB SSD!

Originally Posted by Ait'al View Post
It also goes up to 120.. 8) I think that graph may means something were not thinking of!

MB/s per clock cycle. Higher is better? Maybe it's saying the data transfer during different circumstances. The drive specs on newegg says 900mb/s... That still doesn't make sense though.

I think it's just on one processor core. So if possible spread out over xCores is /x percentage. at idle is 8% for a 6core? 97% would still only be 16% per core. I didn't read enough of the article(problem possibly 8p) did it say more about it. ONly skimmed it.
No to all, see below.

"Since the RevoDrive Hybrid is at heart a software rather than hardware-based Hybrid solution, higher CPU utilization is to be expected but exactly how much is the question.

To obtain an accurate picture of exactly how much CPU horsepower this device truly requires we have configured the RevoDrive Hybrid as a secondary ā€œDā€ data drive and let the system idle with a minimum of processes running. Using Windows' built in Performance Monitor we can see exactly how much processing power is being dedicated to a given storage solution. Lastly, we run Crystal DiskMark while monitoring CPU utilization.

The processor used is a Core i5 2500K which is running at stock speed.

"While a 24% reduction in idle processor consumption compared to RevoDrive X3 is step in the right direction we would hesitate to go as far as saying this is a good result. To be blunt, 24% reduction in CPU cycles still means that even while idling the Hybrid demands more processing cycles than many modern applications require. So when the system is doing absolutely nothing a modern quad core CPU will still be consistently hitting 50% usage. So just like the RevoDrive 3 x2, regardless of the processor you are using, the RevoDrive Hybrid will never let your system enter a low power state.
"

Yes, the guy who made the graph borked it up abit. However, if we ignore the lazy graph errors, the body of the text embraces what we originally thought to be true, this storage solution is a cpu hog.