PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Eyefinity and Surround Vision Support?
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-10, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Re: Eyefinity and Surround Vision Support?

It's not *only* about what's an advantage vs. people who don't have technology X.

It's also about how expensive it is to attain technology X and how prevalent it already is.

Plenty of people have surround sound audio systems, and if they don't, it's just a cheapo $20 pair of desktop speakers away since virtually every motherboard manufactured in the last, like, 10 years has the integrated Realtek HDA or equivalent.

For Eyefinity/nVidia Surround, though, you're talking about requiring a multiple GPU setup and 3 monitors to get access to that advantage. So for the vast majority of users, that's 2-3 new monitors (depending on whether the model they already own is still available to get two more), another video card, and probably replacing the motherboard.

The developers want the game to not have the stigma of being pay to win. Just because the $1000 upgrade that gives people an advantage is going to hardware manufacturers instead of the game publisher/developers, doesn't mean that's not pay to win.

And I say this as a guy with SLI already, and whose next hardware upgrade in the fall is going to be the monitors to run nVidia Surround. I don't want my rig's ability to support a huge FOV to translate into an advantage over people who can't afford that.

If you're that upset over all your money going to waste -- throw your monitors into portrait mode to get the same pixel-count at a 27:16 ratio (which would look absolutely fine within normal FOV ranges) instead of chasing the FOV advantage with a 48:9 aspect ratio.