PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Building Forward Bases - Supply Bases.
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-11, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #125
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Re: Building Forward Bases - Supply Bases.

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
It is very possible to pull 2 AMSs and just jump between their driver seats resetting the 15 min timer.
I remember doing this many, many times on Markov during base assaults whenever we were short on AMS drivers. You bring an AMS to the fight, and deploy it in the enemy cy near where you wanted to fight. Then bring a second AMS and deploy it a little further out (like the far side of the cy, bd, etc), and bind to its matrix panel. Then each time you die you alternate your respawn between the two - either the cy AMS closer to where you died, or the further AMS that you're bound to - and hop in the vehicle each time to reset the 15 min timer.

Originally Posted by GameCobra View Post
I just gotta say, I love this idea. Here's my suggestion though:

building a forward base though should be more of a turtled offense than a powerful offense. like a safe bunker, but much more of an annoyance than a powerful respawn point and requires good firepower to destroy, say from engineers with demolitions or something. It's meant to give a edge on the offense by not being powerful, but it provides a safe haven for the offense that wants to supply a reliable infantry spawn point for the outfit they are in and keep the pressure on with troop deployment and requires a good, solid demolition to destroy. Vehicles and Planes can destroy them with enough of them, but the one that can destroy them singlehandedly easy i believe should be the engineers.
A Forward Operating Base will by its very nature be useable either for offensive or defensive purposes. All it is is an anchor and rallying point for friendly forces and a method to more quickly and steadily apply pressure to the enemy.

I'm sure it'll be used both to sustain offensive pushes like pushing into a cy or establishing a foothold at the far end of a bridge, as well as to help hold and defend your own side of bridges, ravines, and other bottlenecks.

I gotta say that I luv the idea of building such FOBs and I've been thinking about such multi-vehicle designs ever since we heard the gal was taking over the AMS role, but with no cloak to keep it hidden. However, as much as I luv the concept and the possible battlefield dynamic such structures could bring, I'm afraid that it could have an extremely big weakness that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet: vulnerability to Orbital Strikes.

Hopefully in PS2 there will actually be some sort of defense/protection against OSes, like not being able to drop an OS anywhere within the AOE of a sensor disruptor, or some sort of deployable shield gen that can withstand a single OS. Without such protection though I'm afraid OSes will make ad hoc FOB's easy targets and somewhat obsolete.

EDIT: Actually upon further thought I'd rather they just axed OSes altogether. The main purpose for their introduction in PS1 IIRC was to allow defenders inside a base to kill cy AMSes thus giving them a chance to push out and retake the cy. However, since gals in PS2 aren't hidden by a cloaking bubble it'll be obvious where they are, and their sheer size will make them impractical to deploy inside much of a large facility's cy so they'll probably most often be placed outside the walls. Thus I'm guessing that destroying them won't be as necessary for defenders if they wish to push attacking forces out of the cy.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-04-12 at 04:50 AM.