PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - will PS2 be "large address aware"
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-15, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Bonius
Sergeant

Re: will PS2 be "large address aware"

Originally Posted by Princess Frosty View Post
I really hope so, many gamers are building rigs with 8Gb or more RAM these days, because it's so cheap I put 16Gb in to mine.

It would be nice if the game realised there was that much RAM and instead of dumping assets out of memory just kept them in there, so if I want to hop continents then loading times are next to instant rather than having to stream it all back off disk.

The 32bit limitations are a bit lame, it limits to 4Gb of total addressable memory but the application only get 2Gb of that, we need a large address aware executable and preferably a full blown x64 client which can make use of the entire x64 architecture as well as the additional memory.
As stated earlier, the limitations of the game engines today is not within the RAM, but in the ports that all the data has to be transfered through.

Even if you could shuffle everything from your HDD into your RAM, you would still have to sit there and wait for 5-10 minutes on each loadup simply because your HDD's cannot transfer all the data into the RAM fast enough.