PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside 2 for Linux?
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-03, 06:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Re: Planetside 2 for Linux?

Originally Posted by Stormhall View Post
No I want to run a tripe A, frame rate heavy FPS game on a 5 year old Laptop and run it with Lubuntu after the HDD gets replaced and also WINE is an emulator the "E" for WINE means emulator and you don't need WINE for any of the Quake Games (apart from 1) and you only need WINE for Unreal Tournament 3. And you didn't read my host comment (host comment being the comment that starts the thread) because I said my 3 year old Desktop is running Windows 7.
I've used WINE a couple of times with varying degrees of success. You are correct, it originally stood for WINdows Emulator when the project started out as thats what it attempted to do, emulate the windows OS at a software level. But software emulation is very costly, so it quickly turned into an exercise in building an abstraction layer than could translate the calls applications make into the windows operating systems that are commonly used so they do roughly the same thing in a UNIX environment. It was decided (for copyright reasons as well as semantic ones) to change the meaning of the acronym from the above to simply stand for Wine Is Not an Emulator, as an abstraction layer.. or more accurately a software compatibility layer it traded performance for compatibility problems which was a wise trade off.

back to your point, running PS2 on a 5 year old laptop sounds like an even worse idea... What are you going to use it for? sitting on your desk logged on to another empire to spy on the opposition? You wont be able to actually use it for playing if it runs at all...