PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Community Interview with Jon Weathers
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-29, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Re: Community Interview with Jon Weathers

If all you're expecting out of the mission system is something to "aim the zerg," then it's pretty clear why you don't think platoons will undermine it.

I anticipate the developers setting the bar higher than that, though. The mission system has the potential to be a tool for squad commanders to coordinate -- to see what others are already doing, and identify areas they can either help that effort, or see that it's well in hand and place their own efforts in another useful spot.

That gets undermined when the information isn't complete because platoons or outfits are eschewing it in favor of their own operational communications.

By walling their own plans off from the mission system, such commanders using other channels to coordinate *lessen the ability of others to synergize with their plans.* I don't see how I can help make that any more clear.

If you set out from the start to ignore the mission system, then, yes, it will be nothing but a tool to aim the zerg. And that's a failure. Let's not build tools to make it easier to ignore the mission system from the outset.

If nothing else, I'd hope we can have beta start without platoons, then use directed feedback and testing to make the mission system awesome. Then, once the mission system is complete and well-designed, the need for platoon communications could be evaluated; if there's little to no need, then don't bother implementing it and *potentially* upsetting the value of the mission system. If it is still needed *despite* the mission system, it can be added easily in late beta.

How is that a bad proposal?