View Single Post
Old 2012-03-13, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Shanesan
Sergeant

Re: will PS2 be "large address aware"

Originally Posted by Bonius View Post
64-bit compatible is one thing
64-bit exclusive is another

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there still OS limitations as in how much resources a single application can use before the system becomes unstable, even on 64-bit?
My opinion on that matter is that PlanetSide 2 should be 64-bit exclusive, though I know it won't be because of Higby's promise that it will run on 3 year old machines that I've heard through the grapevine.

Instead, 32-bit users will have severely reduced graphics capabilities (blocky/blurred textures) just like APB was and 64-bit users will have the full graphics potential because of the nigh-unlimited amount of RAM 64-bit can use (most computers pre-built today can support at least 8GB of RAM on their motherboards). If the graphics aren't severely reduced on 32-bit, they will most likely crash under high memory load with many users unless they're using some very fancy algorithm to utilize the same memory maps for similar users.

So that's how it is. I would like to hear how Higby's magical team did it. Perhaps CyclesMcHurtz could share some insight.