News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Known to cause flames
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-21, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
polywomple
Staff Sergeant

Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

hmm, not sure what to think about this
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-02-21, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Tried. Higby doesnt respond, RadarX came across but didnt post, no responce yet on the official thread.
You guys now know exactly as much as I do. I'm sorry it took so long to get this information out to you. I'll bring the issues you guys have up to the "powers that be", but my job is making games not business development, so I don't have a ton of sway here to be honest.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Marsgrim
Sergeant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
My source is common sense, and the fact that i can read whole texts instead of just small parts of it. ITs in the faq, its right there.
Basti, it is right there in the text that Euro players will only have access to ProSieben servers.

The whole benefit for ProSeiben in this deal is locking down the Euro market, there is no benefit to them if Euro players can ignore them to create an SOE account. This deal will be region locked on ISP or country of origin and you'll be forced to create a ProSieben account.

The text is clear, you're not reading it correctly and your application of common sense is off - this is a business deal and the only way it will work for ProSieben is if they have a monopoly on the Euro region.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

I really hope this news isn't true... Hopefully a dev. will post on here and clarify this. This is really gonna hurt a few outfits that where excited about getting back together for PS2.

Edit: NVM, Higby just did. Please let us know as soon as you do Higby.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-02-21 at 04:05 PM.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
You guys now know exactly as much as I do. I'm sorry it took so long to get this information out to you. I'll bring the issues you guys have up to the "powers that be", but my job is making games not business development, so I don't have a ton of sway here to be honest.

Thanks Higby... Wait & See then, I guess....
Old 2012-02-21, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
Cyborgmatt
Private

Misc Info

We figured the decision was made from above but the general concern here is that the wording in the FAQ is very "iffy" we need to know if the servers will be actively checking for the user's IP/region and blocking access based on that.

If you can get any more information out of them, it would be very helpful. Thanks mate.

Last edited by Cyborgmatt; 2012-02-21 at 04:07 PM.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
Vancha
Colonel

I'd imagine the entire development team up and leaving would probably achieve something, but I'm guessing you're too dependent on your paycheck to stage a walkout. :P

Edit: But yeah, thanks for the reply.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-02-21 at 04:07 PM.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
IronMole
Sergeant Major

We appreciate the response.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by IronMole View Post
It should be the players choice. Many online FPS's don't have problems with a ping lower than 200ms.

If it wasn't for the poor netcode on PS, then high pings wouldn't have been a problem.
but what if your choice affects other players?

I know this is an extreme example, but it's the first that came to mind. If you get drunk at home alone, it doesn't affect anyone else. If you get drunk and go for a drive, you put other people's lives at risk.

High ping doesn't just affect you, it affects everyone that you come across in the game.

Old 2012-02-21, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
Mirror
First Sergeant

The current everquest players get to continue on the US servers why not us? discrimination against us Planetside players!!

Thanks for the update though.

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-02-21, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
Shanesan
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sinilaid View Post
Their like "O shit, we fucked up" and running around SOE like headless chickens
Higby and RadarX didn't do this, and they don't want to tell us that this is the case because they really don't want to get the flack for something their crony bosses decided on.

And the executives will hide behind their PR team until they're blue in the face. Sony knows no bounds on how to fuck something up.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

So much for the "new SOE that doesnt screw up anymore"...

I fully understand that you are not getting told everything 24/7, as that would be rather much information. But really, who the hell screwed that one up? You usually inform your company before you inform your customers. To make sure concerns are raised BEFORE the shitstorm begins. Thats business 101, thats how you do things, thats how you prevent madness and chaos.

Just posting a FAQ that hasnt been carefully double and triple checked for its content and the way it can be interpreted, and the not being lighting quick to respond on concerns is the number one way to piss off your customers.

Damn those suits...

Well anyway, thanks for postig matt, time to give you some Vanu trouble on twitter. :P
Old 2012-02-21, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
Duddy
First Sergeant

This does demonstrate how the heads of SOE don't really quite understand how the communities of their games function.

Planetside community has been international for about as long as I can remember, heck when I first played it was on Emerald and not Werner.

Sorry you had to be the one to deliver the bad news Higby, but this really does suck.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
but what if your choice affects other players?

I know this is an extreme example, but it's the first that came to mind. If you get drunk at home alone, it doesn't affect anyone else. If you get drunk and go for a drive, you put other people's lives at risk.

High ping doesn't just affect you, it affects everyone that you come across in the game.
You are right, it is a stupid analogy.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
NCLynx
Major

Maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't see the huge deal. US not being able to see EU servers just shows less on my screen, why would I want to play on a server other than the one best suited for me (EX: US East)?

I know there was some crossover in the original because people in the US could see werner and the other way around, but for the most part people stuck to the server closest to them.
The only time I can remember a huge amount of people NOT sticking to the closest server was when population had a huge drop.

(I'm expecting to be flamed, this however was just what I personally saw)

Last edited by NCLynx; 2012-02-21 at 04:16 PM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion