Religion - Page 36 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter Google+ YouTube Steam Xfire TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where 1+1=7331
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Facebook Connect
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

View Poll Results: What do you identify yourself as?
Atheist/Skeptic/Agnostic 151 70.89%
Catholic 21 9.86%
Protestant 24 11.27%
Jewish 5 2.35%
Muslim 2 0.94%
Philisophy (Such as Buddhism) 10 4.69%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-04-11, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #526
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: Religion


*facepalms*
Figment is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #527
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant
 
ItsTheSheppy's Avatar
 
Re: Religion


Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post

If I'm right, you get a firey lake of hell. If I'm wrong, we all just go to sleep forever. Either way, in the end. I win. Period.
Unless you believe in the wrong god. Then you're screwed.

And considering the sheer number of gods that humanity has already invented...

...Compounded with the literally endless possibilities for the nature of god, if one does exist, that we simply have not discovered...

It looks to me like nobody wins.

Pascal's wager is a goofy fallacy because it looks at the god question as if it's binary. Either there is a god, or there isn't. While technically true, it doesn't serve to tell the whole truth. That's like saying my choices for dinner tonight are 'spaghetti' and 'not spaghetti'. The truth is, there are a great many more options than that.

Except for the analogy to work perfectly, you'd have to be talking about dinner options for which there is no evidence of them existing. Like "Gooblechunks" and "Bangarang Pie" and "Roast Jabberwocky". It's very, very likely I won't be having any of those.
__________________
Guru
ItsTheSheppy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #528
Sirisian
Colonel
 
Sirisian's Avatar
 
Re: Religion


Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
Go back and read all of what I've posted about human intelligence and then make your statements with absolute solace.
I've read this whole thread. Not sure why you would make such a statement. I stand by what I said.
Sirisian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #529
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General
 
Baneblade's Avatar
 
Re: Religion


Umm, the only people that claim to have all the answers are the... religious.
__________________
Post at me bro.

Baneblade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #530
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant
 
Misc Info
Re: Religion


Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
What fears me is people not believing in anything at all... or believing in this race as it is now. We do NOT know it ALL. WE never will.
Nobody is claiming to know it all except, like Sobekeus said, the religious. I believe in science (No. Not Scientology, like you keep trying to insist we believe in.), reasoning, and logic (And there's only one logic. You can't say that you were taught a different logic than I was. Well, I suppose you could but that wouldn't be logical )

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
But ignorance will ALWAYS be bliss.
It seems to be working for you, Duke.


Duke, I've said it once and I'll say it again. I like you. You're a good guy, and I enjoy gaming with you. But, you're making a fool of yourself.
__________________

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know

Last edited by NivexQ; 2012-04-13 at 01:18 PM.
NivexQ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 04:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #531
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: Religion


Scientology is probably one of the most messed up money making sectarian cults in the world.
Figment is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 06:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #532
Vash02
Major
 
Vash02's Avatar
 
Re: Religion


Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Scientology is probably one of the most messed up money making sectarian cults in the world.
You havent seen American televangleists then. They encouraged people to throw their medication away (or at least used to) and praise jesus instead, also give them lots of money. Actually you can forget the jesus part just give us the money.
Vash02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #533
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: Religion


Seen that yes. With the whole super-stadium churches and all.
Figment is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #534
Crator
Major General
 
Crator's Avatar
 
Re: Religion


The first baptist church here in Houston is massive. And they have multiple campus buildings in different areas of the city. When I first visited the main church back when I was still in high school in Louisiana I was in awe.

http://houstonsfirst.org/

They don't encourage folks to throw away meds and give the money to the church though. :P
__________________
>>CRATOR<<
Don't feed the trolls, unless it's funny to do so...
Crator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #535
Sirisian
Colonel
 
Sirisian's Avatar
 
Re: Religion


Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
You havent seen American televangleists then.
Awesome music video about that:
Sirisian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #536
Warborn
Contributor
Major General
 
Warborn's Avatar
 
Re: Religion


Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
I voted atheist not because I have absolute certainty that God doesn't exist, but because if he did exist, I would really hate him.
You have a point there. If this world is the best God could do, he's either evil or incompetent.
Warborn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #537
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major
 
BuzzCutPsycho's Avatar
 
Re: Religion


Edgy.
__________________
BuzzCutPsycho is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #538
Effective
First Lieutenant
 
Effective's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: Religion


Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
What excites me the most ( and this I have said before) is the amount of participation involved.

In all that has been spoken about, people wouldn't be trying to convince JUST me and crazy assed traak that we're wrong unless they were looking for someone to convince them.

It hurts people that other people can know they're right ( and those same people can justify and and logicify it otherwise) but can't win their battle through that logic.

People blame ignorance, then use their own intelligence to base THEIR facts on.

It simply flat amazes me. Really, Honest to GOD, amazes me.
what? do you ever say anything that makes any sense ever?
__________________


My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex

Last edited by Effective; 2012-04-16 at 09:46 PM.
Effective is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #539
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant
 
AnamNantom's Avatar
 
Re: Religion


Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Duke, I can tell you one thing: history is NOT behind you, since you make it up as you go. You seem to reason like an anti-intellectual, which quite frankly, is a dumb position to hold, pun intended. You don't think you have to be right in a debate and back up anything you say, you just feel right, so then you must be right, right? No, that is not how things work in a debate.

To the poster defending Duke, the point he and you try to make are both based on self-deluding circle argumentation and wishful thinking. Try to understand that some of us prefer to face reality than to Memento Mori and waste our lives in hope of some none existing afterlife. You say it is that simple, to just believe. Is it then so hard to provide any reason to do so? Consistency with facts. Consistency with itself. Consistency with observations? None of those goes, so why would anyone aside from those unable to accept death have any reason to believe?
You may have missed it, what I was meaning to indicate was that the way of salvation was simple. It was putting our trust in Jesus Christ's sacrifice to save from Hell. I'm not saying belief is easy. Especially in the world we live in. There's a lot out there in the world seeking to destroy any faith you might have in Jesus Christ, specifically.

Here's a simple thing:

John 3:

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.


That is what I present to you, take it, or leave it. No one in the world will ever completely be able to comprehend God, or the full measure of His love. Faith in Him does not take a full measure of knowing everything there is about Him, nor in fully trusting, believe that or not. Faith in Christ just takes one step toward Him.

I'm not debating, but offering you what I believe.
AnamNantom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #540
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General
 
Baneblade's Avatar
 
Re: Religion


Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
What excites me the most ( and this I have said before) is the amount of participation involved.

In all that has been spoken about, people wouldn't be trying to convince JUST me and crazy assed traak that we're wrong unless they were looking for someone to convince them.

It hurts people that other people can know they're right ( and those same people can justify and and logicify it otherwise) but can't win their battle through that logic.

People blame ignorance, then use their own intelligence to base THEIR facts on.

It simply flat amazes me. Really, Honest to GOD, amazes me.
Nah, they just want to see if you are real or just trolling.
__________________
Post at me bro.

Baneblade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.