3 Continents under construction - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's retinal, not rectal!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-11-18, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
ringring
Contributor
General

3 Continents under construction

We have heard that there are 3 continents under construction which at present are only in the conceptual stage.

Do you think they'll be fed into the game as they're ready, ie one by one or will the devs save them up, add in the meta-game changes and bring them in all at once, perhaps to coincide with SOE Live in Sept/Oct 2013?
Old 2012-11-18, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Re: 3 Continents under construction

I'm pretty gosh darn sure SOE can't afford to make people wait a year for brand new continents. We won't get sancs that serve any functional purpose and actual continental lock outs that won't potentially shut people out from playing until at least 6 continents are in the game, of this I'm pretty damned sure, but I would not bet on SOE holding out on adding any lands in tandem with others. I fully expect to see them implemented as they're finished, or near enough so that all they'd need to do is tweak a few aspects as issues arise.

The meta game and other core variables will be adjusted as more areas to fight over are opened up and there is actual room from strategy on the intercontinental scale. Right now, we kind of need all three continents to be open at all times, especially once release hits. @_@ ugh...
Old 2012-11-18, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Considering the game is free to play and doesn't rely on selling expansions, i spose it would make sense for updates to happy as regularly as possible.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-11-18, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Fafnir
Sergeant

They need to add 4th continent fast to introduce proper metagame - cross continental warfare.
Old 2012-11-18, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SturmovikDrakon
First Sergeant

A continent can take up to 4-6 months to create... I very well doubt they'll be releasing them in batches

They'll release them as they're ready
Old 2012-11-18, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sifer2
Major

Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
They need to add 4th continent fast to introduce proper metagame - cross continental warfare.

They said the cross continent warfare wont go live until 6 of them are in unfortunately. Cause they don't want to bottleneck players at the warpgates too much. Which is kind of what would happen if each Empire had a home continent but not much land to fight over.

On the main topic no I think they will release the continents as they are ready. In an interview one of the devs were talking about Searhus being the next continent they were already making right now. It will be Volcanic, and have a focus on tight pathways for ground forces with lava so you don't have much room to stray off the main paths.
Old 2012-11-18, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

They did get a lot of good data when releasing Esamir and Amerish. Indar was kind of a shot in the dark and the amount of change we have seent there shows it, also why it has three distinct climate/topography areas. So to that extent i wouldnt really expect to see any new continent in the next upcoming months.

I also think they will need a bit more data, the continents are still changing and getting what they have perfected is much more important. Having 3 continents that work well, having people play on the for hours without getting bored, is much more important than just straight numbers.
Old 2012-11-18, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

Well hopefully they make lots of money after the game launches so they can make the team bigger. More money = more devs = more and faster updates.
Old 2012-11-18, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Jammie
Private

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
They said the cross continent warfare wont go live until 6 of them are in unfortunately. Cause they don't want to bottleneck players at the warpgates too much. Which is kind of what would happen if each Empire had a home continent but not much land to fight over.

On the main topic no I think they will release the continents as they are ready. In an interview one of the devs were talking about Searhus being the next continent they were already making right now. It will be Volcanic, and have a focus on tight pathways for ground forces with lava so you don't have much room to stray off the main paths.
Cross-Continent? What exactly does that imply? I'm new to Planetside so excuse my ignorance but I'm unsure how it can be cross continent, will you be able to shoot from one map to the other?
Old 2012-11-18, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Timithos
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post

Yeah, Searhus is in a more advanced stage then these other two concept continents.
Old 2012-11-18, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sifer2
Major

Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Cross-Continent? What exactly does that imply? I'm new to Planetside so excuse my ignorance but I'm unsure how it can be cross continent, will you be able to shoot from one map to the other?

It will be as it was in Planetside 1. Where you Empire can conquer every piece of territory on the continent including its warpgates. When you conquer the warpgate you can then use it to teleport to another continent that it connects to, and continue fighting an taking land from there. With the goal being global domination.

The developers have said as a new twist though for Planetside 2 they hope to add water vehicles, and the ability to move from continent to continent across the oceans. Which will be a game changer if they manage it.
Old 2012-11-18, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

As far as we know they plan to release 3 new continents in 2013, no idea how they will be released.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-11-18, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ritual
Banned

I asked SOE this very question in one of the developer chats.

They said that as soon as each continent is ready, they will be patched in.

No waiting for "batches" of them.
Old 2012-11-18, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Minor
Corporal

Consider 1 year to be the timeline for 6 continents.

Having beta'd a few other MMO's like star wars and world of tanks, I can tell you that world of tanks has just introduced british tanks, 2 years after launch...the 5th or 6th nation of tanks.

By November 20 2013, 6 continents should be close to existing the 6th being put in around that time.

The game should run 2 or 3 times better than it does now by then. Massive profits will have finally brought AMD optimizations in place around the 6th month...having been freed from Nvidia slavery.

The above is just a wild guess-timation based on experience.
Old 2012-11-18, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Minor View Post
C

The game should run 2 or 3 times better than it does now by then. Massive profits will have finally brought AMD optimizations in place around the 6th month...having been freed from Nvidia slavery.

The above is just a wild guess-timation based on experience.
Well, between better drivers and people caving into getting better hardware, yeah I expect people to experience better FPS There is no magical fix for the fact we have hundreds of things happening at once, unlike every other game though. I wish people would stop thinking 150-300 guys in one area is no more demanding than 64.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion