Systems: Camo Trade-In - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I am a gangster.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 2013-02-22, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
ChrisLand
Corporal

Lightbulb Camo Trade-In

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...rade-in.96877/

Suggestion: Implement a camo trade system so players can trade their old camos for new camos, or new camos for a different camo, etc.
(NOTE: This is not a player-to-player trade, this would be a trade back to the depot)

Purpose: This will allow players to use the new camos that are released at the expense of losing their old camos. Players will not have to spend SC on new camos but SOE will not lose money since they already paid for a camo (win-win).

Reasoning: With a game that is constantly evolving players expect new items to become available for purchase. When the game was launched, players were able to choose from a limited number of camo patterns for their vehicles/armor/weapons. As the game evolves more camos are released which may be more desirable for a number of reasons:
  • The original camo purchased may be obsolete compared to the new camo (eg. better version)
  • The original camo looks different now due to graphics optimization then it did at time of purchase and is therefore no longer desired.
  • The new camo provides similar coloring but in a better technology (digital pattern, more detailed artistry, etc)

To acquire these new camos the current system requires a bran new purchase. Although some players may do this many players are discouraged since they believe another camo will come out after that which is even better or they feel like they should just use the pattern they have already. They decide not to purchase, SOE loses money in the long term and the player loses enjoyment that he would have gained from a new camo pattern.

A trade system would solve this problem. With this system a player can take a camo they currently own and trade it in for a different camo of the same value. (Single use for single use if not already used, armor for armor, weapon for weapon, etc). The player would get the new camo but would lose the old camo. This could be placed on a cooldown if necessary but would alleviate issues many players have every time new camos are released.

What's in it for the players: The ability to acquire the new camoflauge patterns that they would have purchased originally if they were available by sacrificing a camo they already own without having to make a new purchase.

What's in it for SOE: More money in the long term. With players no longer being afraid to make a camo purchase due to knowing that more desirable camos will be released in the future, they will make the purchase now instead of waiting or not buying at all. Also less pressure and overall flak from the community.

Conclusion: This is a simple solution to a "annoyance" issue that is a win-win for players and SOE.

Please like this post on the PS2 forums if you agree.

----
Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c..._camo_tradein/
Tweet: PS2 Forums: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...rade-in.96877/

Last edited by Hamma; 2013-02-22 at 09:00 AM.
Old 2013-02-22, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Camo Trade-In

I like this idea! Also fixed your post prefix
Old 2013-02-22, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
ChrisLand
Corporal

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I like this idea! Also fixed your post prefix
Thanks Hamma...sorry about that.
Old 2013-02-22, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

That would be a pretty cool idea. The cooldown would probably have to be long though otherwise people would just trade camos when they want to switch, rather than buying more than one.
Old 2013-02-22, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
ChrisLand
Corporal

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
That would be a pretty cool idea. The cooldown would probably have to be long though otherwise people would just trade camos when they want to switch, rather than buying more than one.
Ya...well I'll leave it to SOE to decide the details on that if it's needed.

This is not intended to replace the future preview system or become the new way to switch in between lives, it is intended mainly for those who bought a camo in the past before something they prefer more was released.
Old 2013-02-24, 02:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Selerox
Sergeant

This sounds like a pretty great idea actually. A cooldown does seems like a good mechanic for controlling it as well.
Old 2013-03-01, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Riekopo
Sergeant

They won't give me a refund, but this would be an acceptable solution to me.
Old 2013-03-02, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Micro
Sergeant Major

+1 from me. You have my support.

. Sent from my phone
Old 2013-03-07, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I like this idea, especially after seeing the newest camos that they've added in.
And aye, there would need to be a strict limitation as to how often this can happen. Perhaps also limit it to non-one use camos?
Old 2013-03-08, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Corvo
Corporal

Any kind of trade-in, including part exchange would be good, considering that SOE didn't include a preview tool for cosmetics. However, we all know that realistically it's not going to happen.

What they should do is introduce it as a one-time courtesy for players who actually bought camos right before they introduce a camo preview tool. Say, every such player gets a 7-day window to trade all existing camos for the new ones a week before patch that introduces a preview tool to the game. This way they aren't going to lose money and it's fair to the players.

Last edited by Corvo; 2013-03-08 at 08:23 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault