Surinam Amnesty for political murders: includes president Bouterse (prime suspect) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: R.I.P Hot Girls Thread
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Old 2012-04-05, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Figment
Lieutenant General

Surinam Amnesty for political murders: includes president Bouterse (prime suspect)

Within the coming weeks President Bouterse of Suriname (former dutch colony), was/is to stand trial for ordering and even personally participating in the execution of 15 critics of the then gunta government, lead by then Colonel Bouterse.

Last year, Bouterse's political party gained the majority vote for the Suriname parliament and now they've submitted and passed an amnesty law - which Bouterse himself will sign to make it official.

Or as a British friend of mine said: he just pulled a Berlusconi. Though even Berlusconi wasn't involved in killings.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-771281

Note, Bouterse reportedly (according to a direct partner from the time) shot in one case first the tongue off one of his political opponents and shot someone else in the testicles before shooting them in the head. ("Official" report said they were all... killed while attempting to escape). These men included journalists, lawyers and other intelectuals of the opposition.

Bouterse is also wanted for drug crimes and other illegal activities by the Dutch government. Either way, it looks like that trial for Bouterse will be a waste of time, since he already acquitted himself with this amnesty law.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-04-06 at 04:14 AM.
Old 2012-04-06, 04:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Surinam Amnesty for political murders: includes president Bouterse (prime suspect

Not interesting enough to comment on? Thought there were people here with all kinds of thoughts regarding freedom, rights and political/government abuse? Maybe I should make some clearer debate questions?

Do you think it's okay for any person in power to use their power over parliament and senate to provide themselves with amnesty? What kind of actions by the international community (sanctions) if any do you feel fair as a response to this? Do you feel it impinges on national sovereignty to do so (and if so, do you ever feel this way when your country sanctions or intervenes with other countries and regimes in any way?)

Bouterse always complains about Dutch government wanting to see him trialed as a form of colonialism, where from a Dutch perspective, it is more of a responsibility to the ex-kingdom populace to ensure proper democracy and morality question (justice should be done). What are your views on this?
Old 2012-04-06, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: Surinam Amnesty for political murders: includes president Bouterse (prime suspect

I think many people are still trying to find it on the map.

http://g.co/maps/wv4nd

Old 2012-04-06, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
I think many people are still trying to find it on the map.

http://g.co/maps/wv4nd
-__-'

[huge potential of educational jokes left untouched]
Old 2012-04-06, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
-__-'

[huge potential of educational jokes left untouched]
Phew.

Sure stinks of pretentious in here.
Old 2012-04-06, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

People getting a free pass because of their political connections is SOP for the planet. It's an obvious miscarriage of justice, but when you're the one holding the cards and making the rules, what's anyone else to do about it?

Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Phew.

Sure stinks of pretentious in here.
Stop being a douchebag.
Old 2012-04-06, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
People getting a free pass because of their political connections is SOP for the planet. It's an obvious miscarriage of justice, but when you're the one holding the cards and making the rules, what's anyone else to do about it?

Stop being a douchebag.
Why don't you take your own advice for once Warborn?
Old 2012-04-07, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Figment
Lieutenant General

Geography and lach of foreign knowledge and interest where it comes to Americans Wildguns? I'm holding back out of civility. Smugness when you yourself didn't know much about the Netherlands should indicate that there is a reason for concern. Though this is of more concern:

...fine.

Also:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12591413...raphic-smarts/

Some out-takes of the poll result:
Americans between the ages of 18 and 24 fared even worse with foreign locations: six in 10 couldn’t find Iraq, according to a Roper poll conducted for National Geographic.
While Israeli-Palestinian strife has been in the news for the entire lives of the respondents, 75 percent were unable to locate Israel on a map of the Middle East.
Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill.
See Wildguns, if I want to be condescending about US education, I have every right to.

Now back to the topic. No other opinions other than Warborn's? :/

Last edited by Figment; 2012-04-08 at 10:10 AM.
Old 2012-04-07, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Why don't you take your own advice for once Warborn?
If your only contribution to a thread is to be an asshole, then maybe you should not post in that thread. All you ever do is post inflammatory nonsense.
Old 2012-04-09, 05:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Satexios
Sergeant

As a Dutch national I can only speak of shame how the people of Suriname can let a guy like this go unpunished. That said the December murders are also quite badly described and explained the past years so the younger people of Suriname almost have no connection to the crimes this man committed.

I can't wait for the day he leaves his country and gets arrested to serve the 8 years of jail time he has due because of his drug crimes and for his international arrest to Den Haag for his crimes against humanity.
Old 2012-04-09, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Figment
Lieutenant General

What I find worse than poor knowledge, is having that knowledge or access to it and not caring, accepting it as "okay", or pretending it never happened. Or because it was a certain time ago in different times... as if that changes anything or say anything about what the man is capable of.
Old 2012-04-09, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Geography and lach of foreign knowledge and interest where it comes to Americans Wildguns? I'm holding back out of civility. Smugness when you yourself didn't know much about the Netherlands should indicate that there is a reason for concern. Though this is of more concern:

...fine.

Which country to go to war with next? People on the street have lame views on the world - YouTube

Also:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12591413...raphic-smarts/

Some out-takes of the poll result:

See Wildguns, if I want to be condescending about US education, I have every right to.

Now back to the topic. No other opinions other than Warborn's? :/
Wow.

So because some asshole walks up to assholes in the streets and asks questions and the people turn out to be morons.....that's supposed to say something about my country?

Here's a fun idea, how about we walk around your country...ask silly fucking questions....and record it. I bet we get the same exact fucking result.

See folks? These are liberals...and yes...they're very tolerant people as you can see.

Pfft.
Old 2012-04-09, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
If your only contribution to a thread is to be an asshole, then maybe you should not post in that thread. All you ever do is post inflammatory nonsense.
Are you serious right now Warborn?

I post my OPINION, just like you. Only difference is, I'm not an intolerant fucking bigot and a smug self righteous prick about everything.

That's the difference.
Old 2012-04-09, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Figment
Lieutenant General

Whatever. You believe what you want to believe.

Got something to contribute to the topic?
Old 2012-04-16, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Tomcat, sometimes you toe the line towards cartoony.

As for an opinion for the OP, yeah, it's not ethical for people in power to grant themselves license to do whatever they want and make it legal. There's a lot of research that backs up the theory that power changes people and makes them act immorally. This is not really news.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum