Systems/Gameplay: The Virtual Training Center of PlanetSide 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stock up and save. Limit: one
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.88 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-26, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
BillyBob
Corporal

Systems/Gameplay: The Virtual Training Center of PlanetSide 2

Hi

The only thread I found with something along these lines this was mainly focused towards being a "try before you buy" option, but I think there are several other applications a possible VTC may serve as well. So, here's a rundown of my thoughts regarding how I imagine something like that could be implemented into PS2...

The Virtual Training Center

Background

For those of you unfamiliar with the VTC of the original PlanetSide game, it's basically a place within your Sanctuary safe-area which allows you to learn and try out the functions of the various weapons and vehicles in the game.

Being completely isolated and protected from any PvP combat, the VTC is also part of the tutorial you go through when first starting the game.

Combat Training (PvP & PvE)

● For the beginners

As all weapons and vehicles would be available here, it would allow for new players to familiarize themselves with the weapons and vehicles of PS2, much as it did in the original PlanetSide.

This could be either by some form of guided tutorial, or it could basically be directing them towards the VTC and having some simple tooltips pop up while using the weapons/vehicles.

● Try before your buy

One of the perhaps most obvious implementations of this area (which also has been mentioned before) is to get access to all weapons and vehicles in order to practice with them in a non-combat environment. In essence, it would allow you to try out any equipment (weapons, vehicles etc) before certifying into it.

● PvE Combat Practice

This has also been mentioned before, but as far as I can tell only with AI opponents, which probably would take a lot of work to implement (AI usually does) and I'm not sure it would be more beneficial than facing "live" opposition.

However, in the original PlanetSide you practiced by firing at stationary targets which were placed on a shooting range...so it should probably be possible to do something similar here. You might perhaps even allow for some simpler movement and/or action scheme depending on what you do (thanks to users Saifoda and Dagron for the suggestions).

This might not be too complicated to implement and could for example be done by having the targets move along certain predetermined paths, or perhaps have the option to choose from a preset selection of various movement and/or behavioral patterns for them.

Regardless, the general idea is that you would be able to use vehicles as well as weapons when practicing on these targets.

● PvP Combat Practice

In addition to the non-player targets (and regardless of what level of AI they'd end up having), I suggest the possibility to engage in practice combat against other players in what would essentially be non-lethal PvP duels for the purpose of trying out various weapons and vehicles against live opponents.

This could of course be either Player vs Player, Squad vs Squad or perhaps even Outfit vs Outfit, and would allow for practicing various tactics on different levels.

As with PvE, the idea is that both weapons and vehicles would be available to use against other players for combat practicing purposes.

Propaganda Production

The Virtual Training Center could be used for producing "propaganda" as well.

This would basically be the Machinima part of the VTC, with focus on the creative aspects of producing visuals/videos to promote either your Outfit, your faction or just the game in general.

It would be a virtual area which would allow you things like setting the time of day, spawning your choice of environments, vehicles and units...in combination with having extensive control over camera features such as placement, movement, angles etc. In short, everything that would be useful to the creation of Machinimas.

Needless to say, "real" combat footage could still be captured from the live action within the actual game (using Fraps etc), but I imagine this a useful when wanting more control over the situation and allowing for a more staged presentation if you will.

Final Thoughts

With PS2 being a game heavily focused on massive online PvP battles, it may seem counterproductive to even suggest an area which could be thought as effectively removing and isolating some players from the persistently ongoing action of the game world.

However, perhaps a Virtual Training Center could still serve a valid purpose and hopefully would be more of a benefit and help than it would be a possible distraction from the main game.

Here are some of the benefits that I guess (and hope) a VTC of this kind could maybe bring to the game:
  • As in PS1, it could serve as a beginners/tutorial area for new players.

• It would allow for a "try before you buy" option (as mentioned before).

• It would allow for practice, both in terms of vehicle, weapon and PvP skills as well as overall tactics on a team level.

• It would cater to the creative parts of the community, by offering specific tools for Machinima creation.
Of course, any or all of the above features (including getting access to the VTC) could be gained by using certification points...making it not a default, but rather something you could cert into in case it's of interest to you. Perhaps the exception would be any beginners tutorial if that's implemented.

I also could see this as more or less a stand-alone feature of PS2, meaning it would have no connection with the combat area and would perhaps even be located on a completely separate server. This would be for various reasons, security being one.

Finally, I do realize the huge amount of work this would obviously require, which is I'm merely suggesting this as a possible feature which could maybe be implemented sometime in the future.

Anyway, some of this has no doubt been mentioned before, and you have my sincere apologies for whatever I may have repeated here.

Still, much of it I did not find when searching, so I hope that at least small bits and pieces are new and slightly interesting to some of you.

Thanks for your time!

/BB

EDITS:

- Added the suggestions on non-player targets by Saifoda and Dagron to the Combat Training feature.

- Merged the the two first features into one (Combat Training) for simplicity and clarity.

- Added more clear references to vehicles being available for use in the combat practice area as pointed out by Ratstomper.

Last edited by BillyBob; 2012-06-27 at 03:49 PM.
Old 2012-06-26, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Re: Systems/Gameplay: The Virtual Training Center of PlanetSide 2

As for the AI stuff, that won't be terribly complex -- if you recall from the original vr centers, there were randomly generated infantry, vehicles, and air vehicles that you could shoot at on the firing range and get a sense for how dps, reloading, etc... It doesn't need to be a full blown NPC personality thing.
Old 2012-06-26, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
BillyBob
Corporal

Originally Posted by Saifoda View Post
As for the AI stuff, that won't be terribly complex -- if you recall from the original vr centers, there were randomly generated infantry, vehicles, and air vehicles that you could shoot at on the firing range and get a sense for how dps, reloading, etc... It doesn't need to be a full blown NPC personality thing.
Yeah, but those are all strictly stationary, aren't they?

I wouldn't even consider that AI, as they are nothing more than environmental props...but that would no doubt be relatively easy to implement.

However, if you'd want any kind of movement or reactions in response to what you're doing, then that's a much more complex and completely different matter IMO.

/BB

Last edited by BillyBob; 2012-06-26 at 09:46 AM.
Old 2012-06-26, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Not really. You can just have the move or take cover or whatever as a reaction to your fires on them, or you can give them a simple movement scheme; it really doesn't need to be complicated to understand the effects of whatever weapon you're trying out -- if it's repetitive in AI, it doesn't take up hardly ANY server space (we're talking a couple kb at most, not including skins and what not which already part of the load).
Old 2012-06-26, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Dagron
Captain

I support this idea. It would give people something else to do and a place to show off to their friends, which i've seen a bunch of requests for around here (all ideas so far have been generally rejected for being too RPGish).

Originally Posted by Saifoda View Post
You can just have the move or take cover or whatever as a reaction to your fires on them, or you can give them a simple movement scheme;
That's basically a moving target firing range.
Good suggestion, i agree it would serve the purpose, be relatively easy to implement and wouldn't take up much space either. Just using the player models and giving them scripted actions would be enough, no need to even make target dummy models (since it's a VR room and all).

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-26 at 03:26 PM.
Old 2012-06-26, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
BillyBob
Corporal

Thanks Saifoda and Dagron for contributing with your suggestions...all good points.

Added them to the OP with props to you both.

/BB
Old 2012-06-26, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
Thanks Saifoda and Dagron for contributing with your suggestions...all good points.

Added them to the OP with props to you both.

/BB
Cool thanks.
Old 2012-06-26, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
Thanks
Ty, but i didn't really add much, i just agreed with Saifoda and searched for a visual aid to show what he was talking about.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-26 at 04:25 PM.
Old 2012-06-27, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
akiadan
Private

At the very least I want to have a safe place where I can pull any weapon with any attachment that I can shoot. And at the very least have stationary paper targets. Also I want to be able to stab something in the "VR" I only got to do that once in PS1's VR
Old 2012-06-27, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
BillyBob
Corporal

Originally Posted by akiadan View Post
At the very least I want to have a safe place where I can pull any weapon with any attachment that I can shoot. And at the very least have stationary paper targets. Also I want to be able to stab something in the "VR" I only got to do that once in PS1's VR
This is essentially what the original Virtual Training Center was about, and also what I envision for a similar VR space in PS2; A place where you (among other things) can get yourself familiarized with the mechanics of the various equipment, just as you describe.

Regardless of how it is ultimately designed or implemented, I think there's a need for such a space in PS2 as well...and I imagine it would be helpful to, as well as appreciated by, many players.

/BB
Old 2012-06-27, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ratstomper
Major

What about vehicle areas? The one in PS1 was fairly useless. I would like to see a similar, large setup for vehicles like in PS1, but add attackable targets and bases so people can get some practice with how vehicles act as well.

I'm all for virtual training.
Old 2012-06-27, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Virtual training areas are just a no brainer.

I don't see the need for PvP combat training or PvE training.

It's cool to try out the gear, the original PS1 VR range with stationary targets was fine because it showed the damage potential without making you frustrated with moving or aggressive targets.

Try before you buy also makes sense.
Old 2012-06-27, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
BillyBob
Corporal

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
What about vehicle areas? The one in PS1 was fairly useless. I would like to see a similar, large setup for vehicles like in PS1, but add attackable targets and bases so people can get some practice with how vehicles act as well.

I'm all for virtual training.
My intention was always that vehicles were included in the practice scenarios. However, after reading your comment and looking closer at my description, I realized it would probably be a lot clearer on that specific point.

So I added some extra descriptions to stress the point that this combat practice area would be intended for vehicles as well...and include targets for them to shoot at.

Anyway, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

/BB
Old 2012-07-03, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
dzuari
Private

I think its a great idea, I'd be interested in learning the best ways to counter various vehicles, such as fly a Reaver and how to counter/kill scythe, which seems to be ridiculous agile from the gameplay videos out currently. In the hands of skilled pilot those things will be deadly.
Old 2012-07-03, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Dropshockmedic
Private

That is my thought too.
At the E3 I saw alot of participants waste vehicles like hell.
You noticed fast that they couldnt really pilot them or using the acceleration and maneuverability right and ended up in cliffs and such.

My first thought: Oh nooo I dont want to watch myself as I helplessly waste my first earned ressources just because I cant use the vehicles right.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault