So they want to reduce lethality? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pimpin'Side Universe.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-09-01, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

So they want to reduce lethality?

Simple, get rid of headshots.

Old 2014-09-01, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Re: So they want to reduce lethality?

That's never going to be a thing.
Old 2014-09-01, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
War Barney
Sergeant Major

They want to make fights more skill based not LESS, headshots let you do more damage by aiming properly so are good, the issue is that the TTK is SO stupidly low that resistance things for infantry are almost pointless, the HA shield for example lets you live about a second (if that) longer meaning the entire game becomes who saw who first instead of anything to do with skill.

Right now actual aiming is 1 of the least important things to doing well in PS2, its all about positioning, if you get behind a group of enemies you can mow down 10+ easy as a heavy (simply because of the higher ammo) and even other classes can do that if they have a nade to throw. I know its more "realistic" having people die quickly but it makes it much less fun in a lot of areas, especially as theres about 0.5-7 server side lag so when people sprint around a corner they see you before you see them giving them almost a full kills worth of time before they set seen
Old 2014-09-01, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Headshots aren't about skill, I get them with my Vanguard ffs. All they are in PS2 is a lottery system on top of an RNG system.

Calling headshots skill, it about as laughable as it gets.

Old 2014-09-01, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
War Barney
Sergeant Major

Its about as close to skill as you get in a shooter as your aiming for a smaller target which reocil can easily take you off, and shooting people at point blank range is hardly the same as doing it constantly in a fire fight with screen shake from getting shot (or are you going to claim your doing 500m head shots 100% of the time and turn this thread into a complete joke?)
Old 2014-09-01, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Canaris
Contributor
General

well maybe not remove HS but tune down the over all damage multiplier they do

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2014-09-01, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Vanir
Staff Sergeant

Would be nice if they lowered TTK to the same as PS1 or closer to it?

Old 2014-09-01, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Its going to suck when they lower TTK(for infantry).

Low TTK rewards smart tactical play.

High TTK rewards twitchy play and circle strafe.

If you manage to sneak up behind someone and start unloading on him before he sees you, you should be able kill him with out worrying that hell spin around and zig zag dance while he kills you.

Last edited by Ghoest9; 2014-09-01 at 10:34 PM.
Old 2014-09-01, 10:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by War Barney View Post
Its about as close to skill as you get in a shooter as your aiming for a smaller target which reocil can easily take you off, and shooting people at point blank range is hardly the same as doing it constantly in a fire fight with screen shake from getting shot (or are you going to claim your doing 500m head shots 100% of the time and turn this thread into a complete joke?)
Shove the snark up your ass. You are the last person who can talk about making something a joke.

Headshots in this game are like critical strikes in wow. There is no skill involved, you take the steps to make them happen and they will or won't according to the RNG. Sure, in point blank situations you can maximize the probability to getting them, but in the vast majority of combat in PS2, its just plain luck. Like those times I get one with a tank.

Old 2014-09-02, 01:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Changing TTK is tough - I've always been in favour of it, but Ghoest9 makes a good point - the current low TTK does reward good positional play.

Basically it'd be nice to have a bit more of a proper fight when you come face to face with an enemy and a bit more of a chance to run for cover when you meet something you can't beat - but you don't want to make TTK so long that someone ambushing you from behind or above doesn't really have an advantage any more.

One possibility is that you could actually add in a damage multiplier for attacks from behind, might be quite fun - especially for close-range Infiltrators.

Old 2014-09-02, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

If they really want to reduce lethality and make the fights more tactical they should have done these things ages ago:

- Raise hitpoints all across the board (Infantry, vehicles, aircrafts)

- Make all explosives (AV mines, AI mines, C4) deployable (These tossable, instakill stacking explosives are frickin' dumb anyways - and that's coming from a "C4 fairy")

- Introduce stamina (Additionally reduce sprinting speed)

- After that adjust spawn timers (Or more, actually HAVE noticeable timers) to promote staying alive

And on a sidenote concerning promoting the actual objective / making people behave more tactical:

- Shift the "XP" emphasis from kills to territory capture / defense

...but who am i kidding? Then the game would no longer appeal to their target demographic of twitchy spunkgargleweewee kids with zero situational awareness (Not to mention zero map awareness) that just want to shoot people in the face for meaningless insta-gratification awards...or this new achievement hunter crap - Don't capture or defend meaningless territory! Shoot 1000 people with a rocket launcher to get a shiny! Blergh...
Old 2014-09-02, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Chefkoch
Sergeant

Convert to PS 1 TTK and Inventory System....simple as that.
Old 2014-09-04, 12:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Mordelicius
Major

The reason why they favored a run-and-gun style low TTK gameplay is they've envisioned PS2 as possible MLG phenomenon.

If the game had the MLG traction they hoped for, it could get a LoL-like numbers players and followers (or something close). That's what they were aiming for.

Essentially, they gambled on that possibility. If it happened, they would have all the infrastructure to support an MLG game.

Just look at their early Battle Island concept then (being finetuned for MLG scrimmage gameplay). Look at their current Battle Island concept, a vertical slice city and series of islands. They were obviously fishing for MLG-ready credibility.

Just look at their base designs. It used to be so open for that type of MLG gameplay. I even argued that the nasty No-Deploy-Zone is part of their plan to equalise/normalize a map for a competitive type MLG gameplay.

Imagine an MLG game where a Sundy is in the cap point. It would be hard to kill it with limited players. In a normal PS2 battle, blowing up that Sundy wouldn't be a problem with the sheer amount of players. But they elected to push that unnecessary feature nonetheless.

Nowadays, they are scaling everything back for a slower-paced base capture. Hence, we see all these across the board nerf on force-multiplier and range-multipliers.
Old 2014-09-05, 03:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Ya. If they raise general TTK for infantry play, I'm out.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion