Missile as physical objects. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Enough pancakes to fill your pants!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-03, 11:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Atuday
Master Sergeant

Missile as physical objects.

So I was talking to higby on twitter and asked him if a MCG max in lock down could make a wall of lead and stop missiles with bullets. Seems they did not even consider it as an option. Now I play vanu and always will but having lock down on the tr max weakens it(or at least I think it does) so with that in mind I think we should petition them to make missiles something that can be shot out of the air by a player who is skilled enough or just really dam lucky.

If you know a missile is going to come from a direction then fire away in hopes of stopping it. Of course missiles will be far too fast moving for most weapons to even have a snowflakes chance in hell of hitting so it all evens out.
Old 2012-03-03, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Missile as physical objects.

Saw that on twitter and tweeted him actually. Definitely support this.
Originally Posted by Sirisian
@mhigby Would be sweet to have rockets with armor then allow them to be upgraded with shields or something. Definitely a lot of ideas there.
This was brought up in the artillery thread in reference to AA locking on and destroying artillery, but shooting missiles out of the air with conventional weapons is similar.

If a rocket has a armor count then it would definitely be awesome. I don't think it should be one shot except with say a sniper rifle. It would be amazing on the level of my telekinesis implant concept to see a player launch a rocket at say a sniper and have them shoot it out of the air.

I think it should also apply to tank shells and aircraft rockets. I don't think AA should detonate though near rockets unless they directly hit the tank shells or rockets.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-03 at 11:29 PM.
Old 2012-03-03, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Eighm
Sergeant

The problem with something like this for tank shells is they move quite a bit faster than rockets do.
Old 2012-03-03, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Eighm View Post
The problem with something like this for tank shells is they move quite a bit faster than rockets do.
Watch the gameplay video from the9. They move fast, but over a far distance you could definitely shoot them down probably. Imagine 2 tank shells colliding?
Old 2012-03-03, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
cellinaire
Captain

Yeah I just saw that. He told us we can't shoot down missiles with bullets.

(will it be just bullets, or by whatever means there are. I don't have an idea, though)

Last edited by cellinaire; 2012-03-03 at 11:56 PM.
Old 2012-03-03, 11:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Khellendros
Staff Sergeant

This would be cool, but it is likely a ton of work to get it right, and I think they have other priorities atm.
Old 2012-03-04, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Evilmp
Master Sergeant

Maybe an automatic laser to damage incoming rockets just enough to cause them to spiral off course every once in a while?
Old 2012-03-04, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Vash02
Major

What about VS weapons? Cant blow up a sphere of pure destructive energy with bullets.
Old 2012-03-04, 01:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
This is an MMO calculating the position of 2000 people, their bullets, their stats and a ton of other behind the scene criteria.. Adding another equation into the mix would be nearly impossible if they plan to release beta any time soon.
Actually PhysX supports continuous collision detection. Meaning fast objects don't tunnel and things like bullets colliding against other bullets on the server-side would be rather cheap to calculate. I won't go into depth, but suffice to say the added calculation impact anyone is imagining in their head is greatly exaggerated.
Old 2012-03-04, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I think it should also apply to tank shells and aircraft rockets.
Do you really think small arms bullets should stop a tank slug? Rocket maybe, if you hit the propellant chamber and made it go boom, but not all tank shells are explosive.
Old 2012-03-04, 02:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
Do you really think small arms bullets should stop a tank slug? Rocket maybe, if you hit the propellant chamber and made it go boom, but not all tank shells are explosive.
I said projectiles should have armor (aka health). So that health would balance whether a gun could detonate or stop a tank shell. It would need to be balanced based on the difficulty of doing it. Imagine a person seeing an NC Reaver diving at them and they open fire as the Reaver launches a barrage of rockets. The player could fire at the rockets and say 2 bullets collided with a rocket that might be enough to detonate one of them. That is to say the other rockets would probably hit the player. That kind of balance would need to be decided upon during actual playtesting.

One thing I was imagining, and maybe others were too, of a secondary gunner using say AI rounds and shooting a tank shell out of the air or a player's AV rocket. That is to say the combat would get much more complex at a distance and it would give players a lot of choices about where they fire. Do they defend their tank or shoot the infantry unit kind of stuff. (I'm biased toward complex gameplay and giving players hundreds of choices every second though).

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-04 at 03:25 AM.
Old 2012-03-04, 03:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Hmm interesting, just last night I was shooting down rockets in Tribes... and its one of my favourite things to do in the X Wing games.

I would not mind to see the feature in PS; a lot of times in my Mag cowardly Phoenix rounds would be closing in and I would think about how awesome it would be to shoot them down.
Old 2012-03-04, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
I would not mind to see the feature in PS; a lot of times in my Mag cowardly Phoenix rounds would be closing in and I would think about how awesome it would be to shoot them down.
This brings up a point that someone else is going to say. "But the Magrider shoots a laser" and precisely why I've said numerous times that the Magrider needs a plasma tank shell and not a laser beam. Luckily it's not too late to change something as trivial as a projectile if this feature is deemed wanted by the developers.
Old 2012-03-04, 03:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Could always be another advantage of playing VS? :P

But it doesn't matter; is not a laser (it has travel time) so its got to be something else so if a bullet hit it you could make something up.
Old 2012-03-04, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Leave it alone please. A tank shell is a tank shell, it moves very very fast (some currently day shells 1,740 m/s). For a system to pick up the shell being aimed at it calculated the required trajectory then fire what ever armament to take it out of the sky would be impossible in the <1km distances that planetside2 will deal with also most of the time to tank is likely to be <100m away. Also auto defence systems for people that are in vulnerable positions? no thanks too much rpg for my tastes.

We have shields i think this will be plenty.

Just leave them to get the game out.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion