PS1s 10 year Anniversary in regards to PS2 - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Would you like frys with that frag?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-07, 06:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Shogun
Contributor
General

Re: PS1s 10 year Anniversary in regards to PS2

Originally Posted by Vashyo View Post
I don't want them to slowdown work on PS2 if making PS1 F2P takes time...it looks like the things I want in PS2 take way too long to implement (Hex-system, more continents, intercontinental warfare/end of this 3way orgy of randomness).

At this rate I see it taking +3 years for PS2 to catch up to PS1.
i want ps1 to be free to play because i am slowly losing hope that ps2 will ever catch up with ps1.

because smedly wants to have a callofdutyside 2... and he is the boss. i am not sure if 3 years are enough to convince him that the transition from planetside systems to bf and cod systems was a big step backwards.
and the devs are so stubborn, that it will be too late to change anything by the time they realise it. like now with the solotank. it was a plain wrong decision but since players have put money into their tanks and would rage when they are changed, we are stuck with this shit.
same goes for TTK. the devs wanted to speed up the game and go with fast TTK. but now it becomes obvious that too low TTK makes it impossible to balance so many weapons and combined arms because anything will kill anything within seconds, no matter what weapon is used.

changing ttk back to reasonable and playable levels would be too much of a change, so we cannot get a game that feels like planetside.

and when ps1 is finally switched off due to nobody subscribing, all chances are lost to get this unique deep gameplay for the next decade. since there is no alternative to ps1, and ps2 doesn´t live up to it.

ps1 doesn´t need microtransactions. it is already prepared to contain ads ingame on bulletinboards. a lot of browsergames work without having to pay due to advertising, and only several weeks ago we learned about the making of ps1, that the servers were simple pc rigs and no special hardware. so how much can it cost to host a server with the power of some decade-old pcs?
the ad bulletins have never been used because the players protested. but only because they were meant to be used in addition to the subscription. if the bulletinboards were used to get rid of the sub, i am sure nobody would have whined.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-07, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Climhazzard View Post
you'd solve your own, self-inflicted population problem.
[...]
The PS1 community abandoned the game, leaving it to starve. Now they're too afraid to return because they can't stand the thought of seeing its emaciated body. A state that they, themselves, inflicted upon the game.
[...]
kind of disgusts me. These people should be ashamed of themselves.
Hey ! Way to be a victim. Get a grip, man !

Are you suffering Stockholm's syndrom ? You are seeing the world upside-down.

Don't be mistaken: SOE games are not victim of a bad player base.
Old 2013-05-07, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Just throwing in that I was mistaken in this. SOE does still allow you to purchase PS1... for now.
It's just not very accessible. And apparently there's issues with the Core Combat and Aftershock flagging of people?

Either way, look at these competitive pricing plans:
http://planetside.station.sony.com/s...icing_plans.vm

https://www.planetside2.com/shop?buy=membership

And from the PS1 FAQ:

Is a monthly fee required to play?
Yes, the subscription price is $12.99. This fee goes toward the cost of bandwidth, server maintenance, continuous feature improvements and content updates, as well as customer support.

1. As seen in the figure above, Cost of bandwidth has been reduced by roughly 80% since 2003.
2. Server maintenance has been reduced from 11 Pentium IIs to what a single computer can do with ease now.
3. What continuous feature improvements and content updates can we still expect?
4. SOE Customer support...

Needless to say, we feel it's currently a tad overpriced...

Last edited by Figment; 2013-05-07 at 12:55 PM.
Old 2013-05-07, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Crator
Major General

Reduce the monthly cost to $5-$7 at least... And to kick start the price reduction give previous account holders free access for a month (with a little bit of advertising online). This will help prevent repeat hacker offenders and might get some more people interested. Think about those that don't have a PC that is able to run PS2. Perhaps they want to play PS1 but don't find the monthly price with no one else to play with viable.
Old 2013-05-07, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

I think when PS1 goes FTP, we need to organize a community event via both PU and the official PS2 forums. Hey! the original is free! It's old so the framerate is smooth as butter and it takes up almost no space on your hard drive and you can run everything on max settings! Come hang out with us for a day or two and we'll show you the ropes! And maybe have a little faq that tells them what to expect:

BAD: The netcode is a bit wonky. The gunplay is appallingly bad. There are orbital strikes and artillery that shoots these fucking plasma meteors, so beware of frustrating things that can kill you without you being able to fight back. You have to cert in everything you want -- every vehicle, every piece of equipment, every weapon -- and getting access to the stuff you want takes time. Hallways are brainless slaughterfest zones and you have people bouncing around off each others' heads because friendlies are collidable. Advanced medics can't rez people unless they lay there and wait for you without respawning, which almost no one is willing to do. You can't heal, fix, or get into anything unless it's holding nearly still.

GOOD: The strategic metagame is fully realized. The user interface is simple and intuitive. You can create custom text emotes. Big battles are easy to find and get to. You can alter your environment with whole fields of mines and rows of barricades. There are all sorts of delightful little touches that stimulate teamwork -- having to find gunners for your vehicle, having to guard the other guy when he hacks something, having bases that are actually defensible so that a smaller force with its act together can stave off a superior force for awhile. AMS's have cloaking fields. The fully-certed infiltrator is a dangerous goddam force to be reckoned with. You get wonderful delicious awesome custom inventories, up to ten of them. And Don Ferrone's marvelous ambient music is constantly in the background, shifting gears to suit your environment. Electric violins FTW!

A weekend event like that would be the veterans' single best opportunity to put their best foot forward and show everybody what we're constantly yelling about. It would be a way to showcase what we love about the original and stimulate conversation in the community and get stuff put on the roadmap.

And it would be fun. It would be *so* much fun.

Anybody with me...?

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2013-05-07 at 03:22 PM.
Old 2013-05-07, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Shogun
Contributor
General

ok, that would be the perfect moment for smed to post a simple "me"

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2014-04-04, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

So what ever happened to Planetside is becoming free to play on April 2 or sooner?

Old 2014-04-04, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

I'm a PS1 vet but I won't be going back. As much as PS1 was a lot deeper and had so much more purpose and "meta-game," it was sub-par with its actual gameplay mechanics. I much prefer the more modern PS2 and do believe that the devs are going in the right direction with regard to improving.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion