PSU: Dial "M" for Maurader
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2007-08-02, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
hobbit
Private

Problem with video card

I have a Geforce FX 5200. I recently updated the drivers, and it was working ok. Last night during ops I got a lot of glitchy video behavior. Blackouts, color changes (screen was purple, or multi-colored. surfaces were messed up), stuff like that.

I then went to the planetside site and downloaded the "supported" driver for my card. Then when I went into the VR training to do aircraft, it totally locked up on a black screen. This happened twice. I went back, not to the newest driver, but to a middling aged one.

I know it's an old card, but anyone still using one, and if so, what driver?
Old 2007-08-03, 01:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Dr. Lag
Private

Re: Problem with video card

Well, I friend of mine is currently using one of those and he didn't have any kind of problems whit it.
You should first check if it isn't a hardware problem, like high temp or excessive over clocking (the last shouldn't be your problem since you should noticed it by yourself) then discarding those problems you should start searching for software troubles, check this drivers, Z-Tweaked v158.19 they work great for me and him, but be aware this drivers are tunned for performance so you might notice some lower detailed graphs.
Old 2007-08-06, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
ultraviolente
Private

Dude, just get a new card, seriously. The one you have now has probably lost support from the driver manufacturers already.
You can get a cheap nVidia 6600 or 6800 or series card for just a few bucks atm. Check newegg or something like that for prices.
Old 2007-08-09, 02:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ex101
Private

does this sort of thing only happen in planetside? or anything else you play?
Old 2007-08-10, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
deathfreak
Private

I have the 5500 and i have alot of problems with games like battlefield 2 (who doesnt....). i also have a slower processor (celeron d). I have had this problem once before. I cleaned my registry and went to the task manager and ended all the objects under "enter username here" other than taskmanager.exe and explorer.exe (if you exit out of explorer you need to press ctrl+alt+delete again and log out and log back into windows.). after i did all this i stopped having the problems. so maybe that helps.
Old 2007-08-23, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Key2k3
Private

I would suggest trying out the newest possible driver on www.nvidia.com and if these are buggy you can find older/modified ones on www.guru3d.com. It does sound like you have overclocked your card but those glitches can also happen with buggy drivers.
Old 2007-08-23, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sylvanner
Private

The best thing to do is what has been mentioned already. Just get a new card. FOr about $50 you can buy a decent graphics card that should run your gaming needs. I used to have the FX5200 but I recently upgraded due to the problems I was having with it.
Old 2007-09-01, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by ultraviolente View Post
Dude, just get a new card, seriously. The one you have now has probably lost support from the driver manufacturers already.
You can get a cheap nVidia 6600 or 6800 or series card for just a few bucks atm. Check newegg or something like that for prices.
Where?!?! I need something to replace my 9800xt. What do you mean by a few bucks?

Last edited by Ait'al; 2007-09-01 at 08:15 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum