SmedBlog: eSports Support - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Guns dont kill people... death kills people
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-11, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Re: SmedBlog: eSports Support

Originally Posted by Roy Awesome View Post
Sure, but Day9 has something...permanent... to talk about. He can sit down and analyze a matchup, comment about very specific decision points about how things come to a conclusion. Planetside 2 is just too big for an individual to actually make that large of a difference once the fight starts. Talking about a 1v1 matchup is much easier than a 100v100 battle over a plant.

Secondly, People only tend to watch commentary during matches that actually mean something. I know there are counter examples to this (Purge's dota 2 pubcasts, day9 daily), but you don't see people like MrBitter and others casting unless they have an event they are doing. What about PS2 would entice those kind of audiences (and therefore the best casters) to watch?

I'm not saying that esports isn't a great path. I would immensely prefer for you guys to support the Destiny's and SingSings of Planetside 2 rather than the Day9s and Huskys...The players that play the game and stream themselves playing. They don't have someone filling space and talking about tactics and strategy, they carry the show based on their own personality and skill in a game.
That's true for guys like Day9. My point is if the community gets large enough someone will likely come from within the community itself and throw up a weekly or a nightly cast where they just play the game and say interesting or funny stuff while doing it. Slowly they build an audience.

I've been watching stuff like Day Z as well. All that is completely random.. but there are some pretty decent commentators.

We're going to find out if I'm right soon enough. The tech is nearly done and when we pop the NDA we'll allow people to stream
Old 2012-08-11, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
We're going to find out if I'm right soon enough. The tech is nearly done and when we pop the NDA we'll allow people to stream

I actually already had an idea I wanted to try that would have needed 3rd party streaming...

but this...

this could be perfect.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
super pretendo
First Sergeant

you are thinking way too narrowly IMO. How many of you watch anything on Twitch TV? I do. I don't play Starcraft II but I watch the hell out of it. It is gradually taking on a lot of the time I used to spend watching TV (which isn't a ton anyways since I spend most of my free time gaming).

Do not think of an Esport the way they exist now. Planetside 2 will not fit into that square hole. However imagine a 500 person outfit fighting another 500 person outfit with cameras posted (time delayed) at a bunch of locations around the world and spectators able to follow people around the map at various locations. Imagine really good Casters following the best players on each side (maybe it's even all 3 empires fighting). Imagine a Season where we allow outfits to register (with requirements about size, etc) and be tracked during that season on a huge number of stats.

There are 2 ways of looking at Esports. One way is literally as pure competition. Another is looking at it as really well done Television. Instead of watching Survivor wouldn't you rather watch an hour long battle casted by really good shoutcasters and follow some of the best players in the game?

Esports is a lot more than simple arena matches. It's really becoming about watching other people game. Those of you that think this idea is stupid.. I was one of you. Now I'm hooked. Give it a try.. you will be too.

We have made the decision to innovate in a major way in Esports. It's not going to be the primary focus and driver of Planetside 2.. but we are adding technology that is already in the game and working that will allow you to cast directly from Planetside 2 without the need for external clients. At some point real soon you will even be able to follow your outfit mates from your ipad or iPhone as they pull of a Bin Laden style raid on some base and you'r going to be able to watch them. And guess what. Down the line (not at launch). If you have the right certs. You'll be able to do some drone action yourself.

Please keep an open mind. We aren't going to change what's at the heart of Planetside 2 to try and shove it into being an arena based shooter. That ain't happening.
Thanks for responding, cleared up my worries a bit. So what you're saying is that the PS2 esport thing is that there will be supported mechanisms to watch (presumably delayed) streams of well known actiony outfits? That sounds good, but I think calling it an esport mischaracterizes it. And how can outfits have a "balanced" 500v500 fight? In the end balance isn't fun in this sort of game, the fact that anything can happen makes it fun.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Roy Awesome
First Sergeant

That's true for guys like Day9. My point is if the community gets large enough someone will likely come from within the community itself and throw up a weekly or a nightly cast where they just play the game and say interesting or funny stuff while doing it. Slowly they build an audience.

I've been watching stuff like Day Z as well. All that is completely random.. but there are some pretty decent commentators.

Yes, please. I'm looking forward to streaming from the get-go (i streamed quite a bit of PS1), so having support in game is something I really look forward to.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
NePaS
Corporal

I for one would have no problems or worries watching a battle between 500-1000 guys on twitch,just like going to the movies for a war film(except,that you have been one of these poor saps yourself,so you kinda relate,maybe)!
Old 2012-08-11, 11:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Hamma
PSU Admin

I will totally stream PlanetSide 2 and talk about it. I'll be doing it with capture cards and our badass AGN setup though

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-08-11, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

So the e-sports idea is really just giving us the tools to do this? That's cool. I just don't want to feel like I'm on a gameshow. That's for BulletRun, not Planetside, where it's a real battle for real reasons. Call me an immersion freak, call me a roleplaying lore hound, but, I love story and influencing that story with my made fps skills, etc.

Ok, so here's an idea... injected media. Reporters (streamers) running about, getting the latest scoop on certain continents. It would be funny if these guys were shot at because they wouldn't keep their mouths shut.

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I will totally stream PlanetSide 2 and talk about it. I'll be doing it with capture cards and our badass AGN setup though
Hi Hamma!
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-11, 11:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by super pretendo View Post
Thanks for responding, cleared up my worries a bit. So what you're saying is that the PS2 esport thing is that there will be supported mechanisms to watch (presumably delayed) streams of well known actiony outfits? That sounds good, but I think calling it an esport mischaracterizes it. And how can outfits have a "balanced" 500v500 fight? In the end balance isn't fun in this sort of game, the fact that anything can happen makes it fun.
hmm. I think you're focusing too much on what esports is today. Look at it like this - is Survivor a sport? I would argue that it is. It's not football but it's now a national sport for us. It has seasons and everything. I think the Bachelor is an esport too. There are winners (1 guy, 20 girls. I'll call the guy the winner) We need to make Planetside 2's esport something uniquely cool for Planetside 2 that plays to it's strengths.

Originally Posted by AnamNantom View Post
So the e-sports idea is really just giving us the tools to do this? That's cool. I just don't want to feel like I'm on a gameshow. That's for BulletRun, not Planetside, where it's a real battle for real reasons. Call me an immersion freak, call me a roleplaying lore hound, but, I love story and influencing that story with my made fps skills, etc.

Ok, so here's an idea... injected media. Reporters (streamers) running about, getting the latest scoop on certain continents. It would be funny if these guys were shot at because they wouldn't keep their mouths shut.

Hi Hamma!
not at all. The tools we will give will be about shoutcasting. We are serious about making an actual sport.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Hi Hamma!
Like I said, I think the best approach to PS2 streams would be as war journalism rather than sports coverage.

Which in of itself can take many shapes... following a platoon of soldiers around... covering the big battles.... recording the whacky things soldiers do when board w/e it's up to the players and the streamers really.

I could see *maybe* instanced battles for big outfits...

but more of an event thing than a game mode.... those players should usually be playing the game, and occasionally going off to prove their mettle... not the other way around :|

Last edited by RoninOni; 2012-08-11 at 11:17 PM.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

hmm. I think you're focusing too much on what esports is today. Look at it like this - is Survivor a sport? I would argue that it is. It's not football but it's now a national sport for us. It has seasons and everything. I think the Bachelor is an esport too. There are winners (1 guy, 20 girls. I'll call the guy the winner) We need to make Planetside 2's esport something uniquely cool for Planetside 2 that plays to it's strengths.

not at all. The tools we will give will be about shoutcasting. We are serious about making an actual sport.

I do enjoy watching people play games, especially when I'm not able to at that point. Yes, I subscribe to twitch.tv. So, the e-sports part is just the "meta game" of watching people and maybe betting on certain outcomes of their battles?

You said "shoutcasting", is that actually using ShoutCast/IceCast streaming?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-11, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Smed
CEO Sony Online

I do enjoy watching people play games, especially when I'm not able to at that point. Yes, I subscribe to twitch.tv. So, the e-sports part is just the "meta game" of watching people and maybe betting on certain outcomes of their battles?

You said "shoutcasting", is that actually using ShoutCast/IceCast streaming?
I hear it called shoutcasting, casting and commentating.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

I completely disagree about commentators willing to just start talking about a game. Take a look on Twitch TV at the huge assortment of games.

It's really simple - if it's interesting people will throw it up there and talk about it. If a lot of people play a game there will be good commentators that start casting. Most of them will come from the community itself. Day9 didn't start life with 1M viewers. He grew them over time because he's fun to watch.

Smed
Maybe I should start "shoutcasting" Pox Nora! I think I'll start with a four hour session called, "Pox Nora: I have no fucking clue what this game is about!". Or maybe that will be the last thing I say after playing it for the four hours. Good Lord that game needs some kind of tutorial lol...

Seriously though, you are right about people making videos of things that are interesting. My daughter and I watched a guy on youtube make sour gummy candies out of jello one day. Hard to believe, but it did happen. So, I at least owe you the benifit of the doubt on this.

Regardless, being able to watch a stream of your Outfit mates from the tablet app, while also being able to make some drone strikes or what not, is an excellent (perhaps even innovative) extension of the game itself. That kind of thing I support completely, but I wouldn't call it "e-sports". It's not about the spectators, it's still about the players.

All that said, since my father passed away 14 years ago and I stopped watching hockey, I have since concluded that watching sports is the most boring pass time in the universe. I completely don't "get it"; why watch something when you can go have fun playing it (or something else)?. So perhaps I am not the best person to listen to when it comes to "e-sports".

Thanks for stopping by and elaborating on this though, because before you did it was certainly something that disappointed a lot of us.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Patflute
Private

You guys realize that you don't have to do eSports? It's probably not going to affect the base game.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Graywolves
General

This is something I've always felt Planetside 2 had potential in and was always interested in. I've hit some dead ends with my computer for now but whether or not an eSport scene was present I intended to do some streaming of my game play.

As long as the proper research is done and the tools are provided this could really hit off. I'm personally excited to see what lies in store for the future of Planetside 2 as far as eSport goes.

As someone who would follow or participate in this I can only begin to imagine how I'd feel when I see players I've watched, admired, or even played against and learned to expect on the battlefield. We already had a similar thing going on in the original (acknowledging different friends and enemies wise) so I would expect an eSport scene to just compliment that even further.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-11, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
Maybe I should start "shoutcasting" Pox Nora! I think I'll start with a four hour session called, "Pox Nora: I have no fucking clue what this game is about!". Or maybe that will be the last thing I say after playing it for the four hours. Good Lord that game needs some kind of tutorial lol...

Seriously though, you are right about people making videos of things that are interesting. My daughter and I watched a guy on youtube make sour gummy candies out of jello one day. Hard to believe, but it did happen. So, I at least owe you the benifit of the doubt on this.

Regardless, being able to watch a stream of your Outfit mates from the tablet app, while also being able to make some drone strikes or what not, is an excellent (perhaps even innovative) extension of the game itself. That kind of thing I support completely, but I wouldn't call it "e-sports". It's not about the spectators, it's still about the players.

All that said, since my father passed away 14 years ago and I stopped watching hockey, I have since concluded that watching sports is the most boring pass time in the universe. I completely don't "get it"; why watch something when you can go have fun playing it (or something else)?. So perhaps I am not the best person to listen to when it comes to "e-sports".

Thanks for stopping by and elaborating on this though, because before you did it was certainly something that disappointed a lot of us.
Dissapointed a lot of folks? For throwing an idea out?

This whole developer/player relationship thing has to be better than that. We have ideas. We throw them out. You like them or not. We make them or not. You play the game or not. We need the feedback loop and we are trying to go way above anything we've ever done and frankly we want to raise the bar in this industry (and there are developers that do this very well so that is a high bar indeed) for interaction with our player community.

I look at this very simply. We make this game for you. You vote both with your feet and your pocketbook. If you don't play, we're screwed.

so let's be able to discuss ideas and not assume the world is coming to an end on December 22, 2012 (launch date for PS2).

Smed
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion