Lets start the discussion now - the future of PlanetSide - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Presented in DoubleVision (where drunk)
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2013-05-22, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Wahooo
Captain

Re: Lets start the discussion now - the future of PlanetSide

Why didn't SOE send out a mass emailing for this announcement?

There are a lot of names I've yet to see who i'm pretty sure, simply don't know because they gave up on PS2 and do not follow anything PS related anymore. As happy as I am playing the population could be better and I'm sure there are many who don't even know about this free time, and the way the news is spreading may never know.
Old 2013-05-22, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Shogun
Contributor
General

an email to every account who has been flagged would be a good thing!

but those of you who still play ps2 should at least promote the free ps1 there.

damn, playing ps1 again makes me agressive about all the bad changes in ps2... and all the hard work the devs have to do now to roll back and get at least a little fun back into the game. dumbing this glorious game down to cater to console players was so damn wrong!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-22, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
Why didn't SOE send out a mass emailing for this announcement?

There are a lot of names I've yet to see who i'm pretty sure, simply don't know because they gave up on PS2 and do not follow anything PS related anymore. As happy as I am playing the population could be better and I'm sure there are many who don't even know about this free time, and the way the news is spreading may never know.
Mass email... Hamma.... wink...wink..
Old 2013-05-22, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Mass email? Stop trying to ignore the fact, realize the truth:

The game is dead. Its over.

EVERY SINGLE Ps1 and PS2 player EVER has access to PS1 now. I have yet to see a single pop lock in PS1 since the free time started, even tho the news is spreading on the web.

There simply is no more interrest in a bugged, 10 year old game. Its dead, and nothing will change that.
Old 2013-05-22, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by basti View Post

EVERY SINGLE Ps1 and PS2 player EVER has access to PS1 now. I have yet to see a single pop lock in PS1 since the free time started, even tho the news is spreading on the web.

There simply is no more interrest in a bugged, 10 year old game. Its dead, and nothing will change that.
So says the guy who bumrushes defended bases with ams units only to have them blown up by enemies ten seconds after deploying them, and the guy who fails to notice his side loses towers from which to spawn at until he cannot spawn at them.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-05-22, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
vieric
Private

If you're so sure the game is dead, why are you wasting your time here? What do you care? Why not go do something more productive with your time than make defeatist comments about a "dead game"?
Old 2013-05-22, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Wahooo
Captain

Depending on your definition of dead the game died 6 years ago. Some people would define dead as requiring server merges... so is PS2 dead? Guess it is.

My point is the news is NOT spreading. Thinking anyone that cares already knows is more delusional than those who think the game still has a future. Unless you are still playing other games with someone who is still in PS2 or has been following this the word is not out there. There are plenty of people I know who WOULD come back at least for a bit IF they know but may never find out.

Why wouldn't an SOE Planetside alert be able to be sent out to the emails associated with the accounts? We've had them before, I wouldn't think it that hard.
Old 2013-05-22, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

The news was on RPS and other news sites, as well as on /r/games.

Thats the majority of PC gamers right there, and RPS is highly frequented by PS1 vets.

The news went out, nobody cared. Its just sadly a fact. Mass email to PS1 vets may bring a few more faces along, but by far not enough to sustain a poplock during prime time.

You wanted F2P, you got it, it failed, the end.
Old 2013-05-22, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Thats the majority of PC gamers right there, and RPS is highly frequented by PS1 vets.

The news went out, nobody cared. Its just sadly a fact. Mass email to PS1 vets may bring a few more faces along, but by far not enough to sustain a poplock during prime time.

Do you have any sort of evidence that RPS is "frequented" by PS1 vets? There are probably over 150,000 PS1 accounts, I doubt even 1,000 of those people frequent RPS. I know I don't.

The PlanetSide article on RPS has like 26 comments, all of which are fairly positive, one is from a guy who couldn't handle PS back in the day but can now, another is a PS2 player asking what is so good about the first. Sure sounds like all the PS1 vets to me.

Fact: PSU and SOE have the access to the most former PlanetSide players.
Fact: A mass email from both of these institutions would result in enough players returning to probably poplock 3 continents.
Fact: I've spoken with over 10 people already in-game who would NOT have known about PS1's free-time unless I had mass emailed everyone who signed my F2P petition.
Fact: 10 people is roughly 3% of everyone that signed the petition, and I don't know how many actually came back because of that.
Fact: 3% of 150,000 is 4500 people. That's enough to warrant another server because Gemini wouldn't be able to handle it.
Conjecture: More than 3% of the accounts receiving emails from PSU and SOE would return, at least temporarily.
Fact: These figures do not include the large amount of PS2 players who are new to PS1 that are currently playing.
Fact: You're an asshole who continues to come into the PS1 section and act superior by claiming our game is dead.

Tip: Stay out of the PS1 forum, stop playing PS1 if you don't think its that great, and go do something more productive with your time instead of degrading a very dedicated community.

Last edited by MasterChief096; 2013-05-22 at 02:04 PM.
Old 2013-05-22, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
vieric
Private

You accuse us of beating a dead horse, yet you do it yourself, telling us how the game will fail, we know your opinion, some of us don't think you're right, some do but keep going anyways, I'm still curious as to why, exactly, you feel the need to beat this point into the ground...some people won't give up, so what? how does that affect you in any way? As I said before, if you feel this game is a lost cause why are you wasting your time talking about it?
Old 2013-05-22, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Logit
Second Lieutenant

I personally think this weekend will warrant a few pop locks.
Old 2013-05-22, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Shogun
Contributor
General

i didn´t see poplocks, but everytime i logged in, i found a nice battle going on. that´s all it needs to be more fun for me than ps2 actually is (was yesterday, i didn´t see the gu9 changes yet)

if the pop stays as it is, with several additional spikes at primetime, i am happy with it. it´s not like the glory days of planetside, but it is not dead either!

Old 2013-05-22, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Crator
Major General

Did PS2 accounts get free time to PS1? I thought it said only previous PS1 accounts got free time.

Happy Anniversary PlanetSide 1!

It's been ten years since the Terran Republic, Vanu Sovereignty, and New Conglomerate first fought viciously over terrain in PlanetSide 1, a tradition that continues as conflict rages across Indar, Esamir, and Amerish in PlanetSide 2. Join us in celebrating this anniversary by remembering your service in PlanetSide 1.

As a thank you to those veterans, every former PlanetSide 1 subscriber will be granted 6 months of PlanetSide 1 membership absolutely free! Relive those glory days and bring honor to your empire!

Note: Time grants are ongoing but all eligible players should receive it within the next 24 hours.

Last edited by Crator; 2013-05-22 at 03:54 PM.
Old 2013-05-22, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Shogun
Contributor
General

some earlier post basti digged up before the official announcement said, that ps1 subscribers and ps2 subscribers would get the free ps1 time.

but i don´t know how solit the source was.
and i was also puzzled when the official post was only about ps1 subscribers, because some ps2 players already noticed that their accounts have been flagged.

so i´m not sure if every ps2 player got it, or every subscriber, or even only some misflagged ps2 players because smed posted that there will be missflagging for sure.
i think they have to flag the accounts manually. they said something like it was not just pushing a switch and all accounts are granted free access, it was more complicated.

Old 2013-05-22, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

The source is smed himself, and it is true.

Ive talked with a bunch of folks myself. Pure PS2 players couldnt care less, almost all of them tho. A few were interrested, and i directed them torwards a download link, gave them the quick "how to get aorund", and send them off.

But the sad reality is: The vast vast majority of PS2 players is happy with PS2 right now (hence they play it. ), and the vast vast majority of PS2 playing PS1 vets does want some aspects of PS1 in PS2 (mostly ants, gen holds, The whole continent metagame), but they just dont want to go back, most of them not eve for a night or two.

So, here are the options: Wait, chill, let things settle for now, hope the current bugs get fixed. Once the time is right, do a proper Planetside day, hype the shit up like crazy. If the Hype gets strong enough, you will get a good pop again, for some time at least.
But it will die down again after it, go to current levels, and then die down even more.

Or: You just accept the fact that this isnt the first time we are in this situation. Its the third time already, at least

First time was prior to PS2s announcment. The game was pretty much dead, couldnt even get a pop lock anymore.
Second time was just after Planetside day. Still had free time, but pop dided down pretty quickly after Planetside Day, even tho we had 5 Poplocks during the event.

You obviously want to carry on, but theres just nothing left that can be used as weapon in this fight. Planetsides 2 announcment, And Planetside Day prior to beta, was the best we had. Theres just nothing left. Nothing that would keep people around, even when the game is free.

There are just not enough people left to care. Give it a Month and you propably wont even see anything else than 100+ on the population window at any given time.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion